PDA

View Full Version : W32.Swen.A@mm

sam_baird2003
29-03-2004, 06:29 PM
i use yahoo mail and keep geting the W32.Swen.A@mm viris sent to me how can i stop it

Oxie
29-03-2004, 06:41 PM
sam_baird2003

It is impossible to stop viruses being sent to you - unless you, of course, do not have an Internet connection. The important thing is to make sure you have anti-virus software installed on your computer and that you keep the definitions up-to-date. Installing a program like Mailwasher helps as you can view the emails before you download them.

Oxie (Lyn)

Billy T
29-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi Sam

Welcome to PF1.

In answer to your question, you can't, not without blocking all Yahoo addresses.

Best you keep your AV up to date and auto-scan all incoming mail. Set the AV program to clean automatcally or quarantine if it can't.

Changing your email address may also help, but be careful who you share it with or where you post it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Oxie
29-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Another point ... I would have thought Yahoo would scan for viruses as Hotmail does. If they don't, email Yahoo and suggest they do just that.

Oxie (Lyn)

Murray P
29-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Is there any particular sender(s)? If so block them or don't download the emails. Don't open any mail your are not 100% sure about. Make sure your antivirus program is up to date and set to scan email on downloading it.

Only use Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, for your throw away email addy, ie; not for your main or general email requirements but just for using when you need an addy to put in to an online form for say, registering or when a site requires it for access.

Cheers Murray P

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-03-2004, 09:22 PM
> Another point ... I would have thought Yahoo would
> scan for viruses as Hotmail does. If they don't,
> email Yahoo and suggest they do just that.

Yahoo do scan for viruses.

I'm kind of surprised you suggest e-mailing them though, they are providing a costly service for nothing, asking them to provide an even costlier service on top of that for free is pretty ungrateful.