View Full Version : Need Advice on Getting a Computer..... again

Shaggy
29-03-2004, 05:49 PM
it's From Inhouse Computers in Palmy.

AMD Athlon XP3200+ Processor
400MHZ Front Side Bus
nForce 2 SATA MotherBoard
!GB PC3200 DDR400 Memory
Black ATX Tower Caese with front usb 2 Ports, Trnasparent Side Window & Cold Cathode Light
256MD Gefore FX5700 8X AGP Graphics Card
19" Black/Silver CRT Lat Face Monitor
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Black/Silver Multimedia Keyboard
Black/Silver Wheel Mouse Optical
Intergrated Audio
Black Creative 2.1 Speakers with Sub Woofer
56k Internal Voice/Fax Modem
36 Motnh Warranty (1 Year they go to your home)

Win XP Home Edition
CD Writing Software
Anti Virus Software (apparantly NAV with 1 year free subscription)

$2919

Was playing unreal 2004 at 65-75fps as well, looked goooooood :)

Gonna be using it only for playing games & surfing the web

Is this a relatively good deal?
What do i want to change?
anything else i ight not of asked that i need to know as well..... :/

BTW thanks all......
I posted sumthing similar a while back & have been looking this one seems pretty good

|llus|oN
29-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Now go to http://www.ascent.co.nz/ and using their builder wizard make up the same computer again, comparing apples with apples of course, and see what price you come up with. You MAY be pleasantly suprised. Also shop around for one or two items, like monitor, on the net and you might save a hundred or so more. Thats what I did :)

Good luck. Sounds like a decent machine except my personal preference would be to use a pci sound card rather than the onboard sound. Just a personal thing mind you.

metla
29-03-2004, 08:27 PM
For that price i would expect a dvd writer and a better video card.

Hatchi
29-03-2004, 08:40 PM
AMD Athlon FX-51 (64 bit)
Radeon 5800TX AGP 8x
Internal LAN (try for 1G if possible) - Great for Lan Parties
Western Digital 250Gb Specials SATA150
Intergrated 7.1 sound

agent_24
29-03-2004, 09:56 PM
i have one piece of advise: if you want a reliable input system, dont get a wireless keyboard and mouse - 'speccially not A4 tech.

Shaggy
29-03-2004, 10:43 PM
thanks. the chick said the wireless had lagg when playing games....

thanks everyone else as well!

whiskeytangofoxtrot
29-03-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't see a Hard Drive listed in the component list. Assume it comes with one?

Does seem a touch pricy, I'd try a bit of shopping around - though try the reliable places like:
http://www.ascent.co.nz - Wgtn
http://www.pp.co.nz - Wgtn
http://www.dynamicsolutions.co.nz - Palmy
http://www.advantage.co.nz - Palmy

metla
29-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Personally as far as Palmy goes Inhouse are the only computer shop i would deal with.

Shaggy
29-03-2004, 11:56 PM
oops yea 120GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-03-2004, 01:09 AM
> Personally as far as Palmy goes Inhouse are the only
> computer shop i would deal with.

Ironic as they are the one place I personally wouldn't...

I bought a lemon from them ~5 years ago, however I guess thats quite a long time for a place to re-establish their reputation.

Elephant
30-03-2004, 01:11 AM
> it's From Inhouse Computers in Palmy.
>
> nForce 2 SATA MotherBoard
So what make and model of Motherboard? Does it have RAID on board?

> anything else i ight not of asked that i need to know
> as well..... :/
If you can find out the above two questions this may help others to help you.
>
I will not go into prices here.
I know nothing about Inhouse Computers but have not heard anything bad about them. You might try to find out how long they have been there. Warranty issues come to mind for me on this.

Advantage Computers in Palmerston North have been around a while to my definite knowledge.

bk T
30-03-2004, 11:18 AM
> ... - Great for Lan
> Parties

Just for my info, what is a Lan Party? :8}

Cheers

Fire-and-Ice
30-03-2004, 12:15 PM
> > ... - Great for Lan Parties
>
> Just for my info, what is a Lan Party? :8}

Its when a group of gamers bring their own computers to someones house/rented rooms/hall, etc and network them all together in order to play games against each other. That's the "official" definition...... more often than not half the time is spent "leeching" (ie sharing/copying) music, video (movies) and other files from each other. ;-)

LAN parties can be small with just two or three mates coming along or huge with 200-300 partipants and they usually run all weekend, especially long weekends such as Easter due to the time required to set everything up.

Its all good fun. :-)

bk T
30-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Fire-and-Ice. I learnt something new today. :)

Pete O\'Neil
30-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Find out what brand of monitor its is? it could be some cheap and nasty thing. As said early find out wat brand of mobo it is? Gigabyte make a nice nForce 2 board that is cheap. You haven't stated what sort of PSU? with a cold cathode you may need a bigger PSU(note more wattage isnt necessarily better Thermaltake make some nice PSU that arent too expensive). For that price it wouldnt be too much to expect a DVD-RW. Ditch the FX5700 total waste of money either go for a FX5900XT or Radeon 9600XT, the FX5900XT is a bit more expensive($40ish) but offers far better gaming preformance. 256mb of RAM on a video card is a waste of money you only need 128mb and by the time u need 256 it will be upgrade time.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-03-2004, 12:55 PM
> Just for my info, what is a Lan Party? :8}

So now you know what one is... check out http://www.lanplace.net.nz/

Best place in NZ to have a LAN function - absolutely kick-ass.

Shaggy
07-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks all.... just got my net back on, dont know why.....

gonna try & find out what brand of motherboard it is + everything else.

drcspy
07-04-2004, 08:34 PM
they making a fair amount of money out of you btw........400fsb pretty miserable .......I'd insist on 800

Pete O\'Neil
07-04-2004, 08:49 PM
> they making a fair amount of money out of you
> btw........400fsb pretty miserable .......I'd insist
> on 800

i think you'll find 400mhz is the fastest FSB possiable without overclocking. Yes the P4 has a 800mhz FSB but thats a different architecture and doesnt apply here.

Pete O\'Neil
07-04-2004, 09:09 PM
in terms of specific parts i think something along these lines would offer a good balance between price/quality:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
GigaByte GA-7VT600-1394
1Gb DDR400
Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA
9600XT or 5900XT

The 3000+ is $100 cheaper and the drop in speed shouldnt be that noticable. The mobo doesnt use the nForce 2 but still supports 400mhz FSB, plus has better sata support. Twinmos or ADATA for the ram, doesnt really matter just make sure it has a decent warrenty. You could consider 2x80 SATA drives and RAID them for better preformance as the mobo has onboard RAID. Both video cards offer good value the Radeon has better image quality but the Geforce is faster.

DVD/CD-RW good brands are LG, ASUS, Samsung, Liteon just choose wateva takes ur fancy. Microsoft make a nice black keyboard and optical mouse combo for about $70 worth having a look at. Microsoft and Logitech make some of the nicest keyboards and mice, far superior to cheap knockoff brands. Just choose a case that you like and suits the budget and looks good to you, it might be a good idea to check the PSU brand. iCute are pretty good for a cheapy but stay well clear of Hyena. I can give a couple of links to some horror stories regarding Hyena PSU's. Philips makes a nice monitor, Viewsonic is also good. Just have a look in the shop and see what one you like and wheather or not the image is up to your standards. Those creative speakers are good, make sure you get an OEM copy of Windows it loads cheaper, you should get free CD-RW software with your CD-RW so make sure your not paying for that. Some motherboard manufactuers provide Norton free so dbl check that aswell

drcspy
07-04-2004, 09:46 PM
petes done his homework

metla
07-04-2004, 10:14 PM
> they making a fair amount of money out of you
> btw........400fsb pretty miserable .......I'd insist
> on 800

You reckon do you?

How about you tell us what those parts would cost wholesale,then add the time to build it,load windows then test the system.

Then you most probally have delivery and installation,then you get to provide a 2 tear warrenty.

Tiny amount of money involved in selling computers,and when you compare it to the mark up most retailer get for products its damn near insulting.

Shaggy
08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the info!