PDA

View Full Version : DVD Back-up

Nyuuji
29-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm still new to the world of computing so please forgive any errors I may make. I have a question concerning the legality of making a back up of purchased dvd movies.
I recently purchased a dvd writer and have been following the news in America about 321' studio's court case and similar news, and there is a lot of mentioning of copyright and their "Fair use" rights as far as copying goes. What I am unsure about is the current state of NZ law concerning making back-ups. Do we have a law such as theirs that permit someone to make back up their purchased dvd's (or cd's)? If not then am I breaking the law when I photocopy a page from cooking book at the library, or put my cd to tape so I can listen to it in the car(copyright infringement)?
I appreciate any sort of clarification of our laws to this layman myself. Thank you.

Miami Steve
29-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi Nyuuji,

Welcome to PressF1.

Unfortunately, the way the law in NZ stands currently, what you want to do is illegal. However, I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. I heard (or read) somewhere last week that the government is looking at changing the law to allow one copy for backup purposes. They are looking at taking this step to bring NZ into line with the rest of the world in relation to personal backup copies.

Hopefully this change in legislation will not take as long as some....

Cheers
Miami

Nyuuji
29-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Thank you for your reply miami.
Its looks as though we'll just have to wait for the government to make its move, but I don't think i'll hold my breath in anticipation. :)