PDA

View Full Version : Unknown startup entry

dumdum
28-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Since running the m/soft update disc, I now have some extra passengers in startup.Have managed to identify all but 2.Does anyone know what....3d8thkd...and,...ca...represent please,these are seperate entries in startup.
Google was no help with these two.

Thanks
DD.

tommy
28-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Would they have anything to do with the trial firewall/antivirus that was included?

dumdum
28-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Good point tommy,
Although I am only running the trial firewall,now that you have mentioned it ,I have not seen an entry for it in startup,
you have possibly given me the answer to my query.

Cheers.
DD.

tweak\'e
28-03-2004, 04:59 PM
can you post the exact details? including path to where the file is?

dumdum
28-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Not to sure what you mean tweak'e, but I will just show how it reads in startup,maybe you will understand it better than me.

ca=C:PROGRA~1\CA\ET
and
3d8thkd=C:windows\system

I must say that I am not having any problems, I just like to know what's what on my box.

Cheers.
DD.

Jen C
28-03-2004, 05:22 PM
The CA is part of Computer Associates which produces the eTrust EZAntivirus and EZAmor LE (antivirus and firewall) software that you loaded from the MS disks.

>3d8thkd=C:windows\system

Not sure what this is, but the 3d8thkd could just be your unique identifier for those files?

tweak\'e
28-03-2004, 05:24 PM
>3d8thkd=C:windows\system

sounds kinda like some spyware and virus.

do a scan with adaware or spybot and an uptodate antivirus. otherwise take it out of startup and see what happens.

dumdum
28-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks for that Jen,
takes care of 1 of them,and you could be right with the 2nd.They appeared at the same time and as I said,I'm not having problems,I just like to know whats on my computer.
Thanks also tweak'e,
I have done a couple of scans since these items appeared, and got negative results each time,and have searched security data bases,but no mention of either.I'll leave them where they are for now, but will keep my eye on them .
Your help is most appreciated
Cheers
DD.