PDA

View Full Version : domain controller broadcasting every millisecond

dguynz
28-03-2004, 09:13 AM
OK, I know I should be paying thousands for some flash-suited MSCE techo to come and diagnose my whole network for about a week, but I just wonder if I can get a few clues. Our network has grown from a ten PC LAN to about 80 including some on a WAN over frame relay. The primary domain controller is running NT 4, no WINS, no DHCP & only TCP/IP protocol (cos it was easy when we started). We have a single backup domain controller at the main site (also running NT 4). Performance has, naturally enough, been getting worse as we added more PCs to the network, but now it is seriously bad. The PDC seems to spend more time sending broadcasts than listening. Last night I watched Network Monitor for about half an hour (less exciting than Sky!) and had a period of 15 minutes with the PDC sending a broadcast every millisecond! Then it all went back to normal for about 5 minutes (hardly any traffic at 9pm on a Saturday night) and then started broadcasting like mad again.

Where do I start!?!

Dolby Digital
28-03-2004, 10:31 AM
>>I know I should be paying thousands for some flash-suited MSCE techo
Look how else is he/she gonna pay for that framed piece of paper.

I have a Windows 2000 server book upstairs. Does that help :D

ugh1
28-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I assume that your users can "browse" the network from the network neighbourhood?

If so, what do you think maintains the list of active PCs on the network?

Mickysoft have a artical about this in the KB that will tell you how to alter the refresh interval for the browse master.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Have you checked to make sure the box isn't compromised either virally or otherwise?

dguynz
28-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Yes, I am checking as we speak.
Attached through Citrix client, browsing a few machines (not sure how many I should be able to see - don't know who turns off their machines for the weekend)
It used to be LMHOSTS (until Win 2K & XP clients came along)
Now I'm not so sure, maybe they all want to be backup browsers?

Actually I read a depressing statement last night that there should be a browser for at most every 32 machines within a subnet. My whole LAN is one big, happy subnet with radio access points, IP printer ports, IP data collection & maybe 40 pcs.

And I thought I had a primary domain controller to look after this stuff!

dguynz
28-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Now there's a nasty thought - thanks a lot!

I shall harass it tomorrow

Graham L
28-03-2004, 04:22 PM
It's always helpful to know what sort of broadcasts are being sent.:D

Can you install Ethereal on a networked computer? If they are "real" boradcasts you'll see them even if your system is on switches. (For really useful monitoring, you could put a hub before the first switch on the netwrok,so you could plug a diagnostic machine thre).