PDA

View Full Version : Data Corruption over network

hamstar
28-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Can anyone tell me why networks (or at least ours) corrupts when we send data. Anything we sent that is compressed in any way at all gets a CRC error, when it works fine at the source. Why? I thought networks were stable. It must be just whenever me an coldfusion connect, because, how do big companies get on... they wouldn't put up with corruption like this....

Both PC's are Windows 2000 pro with PCI LAN adaptors of the realtek 8139c series. Exactly the same cards.

Coldfusion has
xp2200
1024mb ram
soltek mobo

I have
xp1800
512mbram
msi mobo

wat the hell is up with that huh?

Cheers.

Hamstar.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Realetk 8139 cards aren't exactly known for their high performance.

Network corruption happens, it could be happening for a myriad of reasons. Try swapping one of the cards out for something better if you can see if that fixes it.

Anyone that wants a reliable network knows the a $9 network card isn't going to cut it.

tweak\'e
28-03-2004, 11:56 AM
check cable and also drivers. add it once due to poor drivers.

Graham L
28-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Network transfers using TCP/IP don't corrupt data. You either get it or you don't. If a packet is incomplete or "damaged", repeats are requested until it is received correctly. It's possible that a packet might be corrupted in a router somewhere on the way, and become a "perfect"packet with corrrupted contents. But that would cause so much havoc that it would very quickly be removed from service.

Any such problems are most likely to be in your computer. :D

Occasionally, an FTP transfer is attempted using ASCII mode rather than binarymode ... this is disastrous to binary data (e.g. compressed file) because extra "carriage return" characters are inserted after any "linefeed" octet, to deal with the difference between *nix and DOS type text files. But I think that binary is the default these days ... because most people don't know about this problem. ;-)

My best guess is that you have flakey memory. :D That's much much more likely that your 8139 transceiver is unreliable. ;-)

hamstar
28-03-2004, 04:12 PM
What if I assigned an IP to both computers?

Graham L
29-03-2004, 04:14 PM
If they are connecting to the extent that they are getting files, the IP addresses are OK. :D In fact, the IP address is not used except to discover the MAC hardware addresses, which are what counts in the packet addresses.

I would run a severe memory test on bothe the machines involved ... perhaps starting with the "Coldfusion" machine if you can transfer similar files to/from other machines on your network without errors.