PDA

View Full Version : BACK WEB.exe.

dumdum
27-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Was cleaning a friends computer (spybot found 5000+ objects!!) and would like to know what BACK WEB.exe is associated with.
Google has Web.exe listed,but not Backweb.
Any info would be most helpful.
Friend has win 98.
Thanks
DD.

godfather
27-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Process File: backWeb or backWeb.exe
Process Name: Backweb Adware
Description: Adware by Backweb Technologies.
Company: Backweb Technologies
System Process: No
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): Yes

Noel Nosivad
27-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey dumdum,

backweb.exe is a program installed by software vendors. It's dependant on what the software vendor has told it to do, sometimes it's for downloading updates, but I would remove it as vendors can make it do whatever they want. It can only download but...

With a plugin, it can reverse information, meaning it can send information from your computer to whoever the vendor is. So by all means it'd be safer to remove it than to keep it.

Noel Nosivad

dumdum
27-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that guys,
I will take care of it when I get back to friends place .
Cheers
DD.

Pheonix
27-03-2004, 10:00 PM
If compaq or HP, they used to use Backweb for their updating. Best to go into add/remove first and see if there is an uninstall for Backweb or Updater. Problems can occur if left for Spybot to clean out first. Just comes up with a message that a file is missing on each startup.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-03-2004, 11:49 PM
> If compaq or HP, they used to use Backweb for their
> updating. Best to go into add/remove first and see if
> there is an uninstall for Backweb or Updater.
> Problems can occur if left for Spybot to clean out
> first. Just comes up with a message that a file is
> missing on each startup.

Which should be able to be fixed by removing the backweb lines from startup using msconfig

Pheonix
28-03-2004, 12:24 AM
True, but that is like putting the cart before the horse. It is always better to remove programs by the add/remove than to just eliminate a part of them. Leaves less behind to cause other conflicts and problems.