PDA

View Full Version : Networking between 98 and XP problems

Jamezo
27-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I already have a crossover network between two win98 machines, and recently aquired a notebook, which I would like to be able to plug into the network in place of the second computer when needed. All computers are on 'WORKGROUP', the primary machine is 192.168.0.1, second one is 192.168.0.2, and notebook is 192.168.0.3

After running the rather unhelpful network setup wizard on the notebook, (I don't need to share a connection), and I was able to ping the primary machine with the notebook, but not vice-versa. no shared folders were accessible.

After doing some reading on the internet, I set up the primary machine to use 'client for microsoft networks' as the login method, removed the netBEUI protocol, and enabled netbios and guest login on the notebook.
Now neither machine can ping.

I transfered the XP network setup wizard and ran that on the primary machine, still nothing. should I remove IPX/SPX as well? does the primary machine need to 'log on to windows NT domain'? anything that I have missed?

thanks a lot

Billy T
27-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi James

Take a look at FAQ 42 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21674&message=57786&q=FAQ+42#57786), most of your answers will be found there.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jamezo
28-03-2004, 12:34 AM
that FAQ doesn't address 98-XP issues, at least the first page, I can't seem to open the second.

now the XP notebook can ping machine #1 again, and they can have a game of Soldat, but the ping still won't work the other way, and when you try and view the workgroup on the notebook, it all but locks up, finally giving an error message. has anyone done a 98-XP crossover network before?

beama
28-03-2004, 12:53 AM
are you using a firewall on any of those machines remember xp has one it may be enabled for that conection.
I have a crossover network with a xp pro laptop and 98 desktop.
Software firewalls cause me some head achs every now and then. you may wish to get vnc also its great for working on two machines at once multi tasking at its best

Graham L
28-03-2004, 04:36 PM
The laptop is probably the one with XP. ;-) You can't share the XP's files unless there is a valid user account on the XP machine. Try enabling the "Guest" account.

Jamezo
28-03-2004, 07:08 PM
no firewalls except for the XP software one, which is disabled. the guest account is enabled. I heard somewhere that you need identical accounts on both machines, with identical non-blank passwords, is that what you have beama?

beama
29-03-2004, 12:16 AM
there are some things you could try
1. get tweakui for 98 machine, set up a account called guest with autologin enabled.

2. This is what I do, get realvnc (http://www.realvnc.com) (its free) that allows you to remote control another pc ie laptop control of your desktop you can now copy and paste from the desktop the laptop and vice versa if you wish

if your crossover network is anything like mine the 98 machine can see the xp pro laptop but cant browse the hard drive but the reverse is not true (xp can see and browse the 98 machine).
This may be because of two things
(i) if you use ntfs on the laptop 98 cannot read this file system
(ii) you need user permission to be able to see the xp laptop and the 98 machine does not have this ie the guest account metioned in 1. the 98 machine may be able to see laptop in the workgroup but unable to browse the laptop H/D

other things to look for are
workgroup names
and yes read that FAQ metioned earlier there is some good information there although setting up a 98 xp network is slighty different you still need the understanding that faq will provide you and if all else fails google it .

good luck

Jester
29-03-2004, 12:29 AM
>You can't share the XP's files unless there is a valid
> user account on the XP machine. Try enabling the
> "Guest" account.

I beg to differ mate, I have never had to set up a user account on any XP machines to give others access to files, with win98 or another XP PC on the network. We set up PC's for lanning often and there are a mixture of PC's.

I just ensure that the workgroup is the same on each PC, and enable sharing on any folders (right click and select sharing etc) I want on the network. The folders appear in Network Neighbourhood soon after enabling sharing. Any probs I have encoutered are generally due to firewall configurations.

J
:D

Rob99
29-03-2004, 12:53 AM
The Jester is right, forget all the other crap.

Spacemannz
30-03-2004, 09:14 AM
I use 2 XP's and 1 98 SE here. Just as long as you share the XP folder and under tools/folder options/view tick enable simple file sharing. You dont need a password or have to log in as a guest to get into an XP folder.

And if u have more than 2 PC's you need a HUB. Not a crossover cable.

And accessing NTFS from a 98 based system is WRONG. Any PC will read a NTFS hdd, regardless of what it is. Theyre different computers. 98 cant read NTFS, if it was installed on the same system. Which in the case, isnt the case. 98 and Xp are on totally different computers.

Spacemannz
30-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Oops and also try renaming all to MSHOME. I have a feeling XP doesnt like anything but MSHOME as the workgroup name.