PDA

View Full Version : Opera and BNZ interweb banking

MrBeef
27-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi there, i have been trying to use Opera to do internet banking but it just does not work for me.

WHen i goto pay someone it tells me that the date is "one year from today" and i click ok and then it does not let me do anything (in terms of paying) so i have to use MSIE 6

Why would it be doing this?

tweak\'e
27-03-2004, 11:16 AM
i have noticed some banks (do idea with bnz) use activeX controls therefore non-IE browsers will not work. there is an activeX plugin so you can use activeX controls for opera/mozilla. however it may not work with the site and most opera/mozilla users are against useing activeX anyway.

the other thing is they may have a script which checks which browser you are useing and it won't let you access the pages. try changing the browser ID to mozilla and see what happens.

mark c
27-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Opera doesn't work at Kiwibank either.
Or Kiwibank doesn't work with Opera.

I guess it's these sites are coded for IE and they don't bother to make them compatible with other browsers. Being interactive and 'secure' would make them more complex so I guess it's understandable.

That's another reason whu users of alternative browsers need to keep IE for these purposes.

Cheers :D

ugh1
27-03-2004, 12:51 PM
As I have mentioned in a the past, I complain weekly to the BNZ that I cannot use the online banking service using non activex browsers.

So far their excusers for not doing anything about it have been very lame, and sometimes rude!! but one is not enough people are complaining to them about it.

So COMPLAIN long and loud!! and something may be done about it...

Dolby Digital
27-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Have you phoned the BNZ helpdesk for the "official line" in regard to the use of non IE browsers. Does it say on their site that you must use IE (or recommended that you use).

Do you use Linux also? I'd love to call them and when they are what OS do you use, "why Linux of course"... pause... "we don't support Linux browsers" .

ugh1
27-03-2004, 01:58 PM
> Have you phoned the BNZ helpdesk for the "official
> line" in regard to the use of non IE browsers. Does
> it say on their site that you must use IE (or
> recommended that you use).

Some mumbo jumbo about the pinpad and hashed transaction keys... all which could be jone with a java applet.

>
> Do you use Linux also? I'd love to call them and when
> they are what OS do you use, "why Linux of course"...
> pause... "we don't support Linux browsers" .

I use Linux / Windows, but no IE when in windows... as if there are allready enough holes without tempting more...

Their only excuse is the hashed transaction keys and it seems they are to lazy to pay for a good java coder.... as the activex applet they use is written in VB6.

Dolby Digital
27-03-2004, 03:34 PM
>>they are to lazy to pay for a good java coder
I suspect it is not as simple as that. They may have ruled out the use of Java for some reason. Large IT shops are not as flexible as small ones.

PoWa
27-03-2004, 05:37 PM
ANZ and National Bank's online banking works fine in Opera and Firebird. With Opera you have to turn pop-up windows on for ANZ to work.

I get annoyed at websites that won't stick to standards so that their websites are viewable on all browsers. Its just plain laziness.

Tell them you are going to switch to another bank because their useless internet banking does not work for you. :D

WalOne
27-03-2004, 06:57 PM
the other thing is they may have a script which checks which browser you are useing and it won't let you access the pages. try changing the browser ID to mozilla and see what happens.

When I installed Opera, I had a non recognition problem from ASB. I changed Opera's ID to M$ IE and that fixed the problem. But complaining to the Banks is futile, the chances are you'll end up talking to some OZ call centre who haven't a clue what you're saying anyway - or the slightest interest. ;\

Susan B
27-03-2004, 07:27 PM
> But complaining to the Banks is futile, the chances are you'll end up talking to some OZ call centre who haven't a clue what you're saying anyway - or the slightest interest.

Not always. A couple of years ago I complained to WestpacTrust that their bank's website was the only one that didn't have their term deposit interest rates on it. I told them that because of this I was taking my money to another bank and would continue to do so until they caught up with the times.

It wasn't long before before they did. ;-)

Winston001
27-03-2004, 08:40 PM
I agree with Susan. Banks do not want irritated customers. However when it comes to browser support, I guess that at the moment 99% of people use IE6 so the complaints come from a fringe.

Nevertheless that fringe tends to be technologically savvy and are likely good customers in the long run.

So complain. Make enough noise and once one bank responds, the others will follow.

I use Opera with pleasure but move to IE6 for banking and certain secure sites. Frankly, it doesn't bother me.

Duck
28-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Kiwibank works fine for me with Opera 7.23...