PDA

View Full Version : complain to isp

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 07:11 AM
My friend's paradise dial up internet connection connects at 43k and her download speed is about 2.5k while my paradise connection is roughly the same but download speed is 4.5k.
I've checked her computer delete alot of spyware but her connection is still slow.
IF i ring paradise and talk to them about it?They'll likely to say they can't do anything about it right?
She lives about 8 mins away from me if i was to drive there.
She has a telephone extension cord of about two metres long.She uses internal modem while i use an external.
Does different modem affect the speed of the connection?

Is there a way to check her line using a program?
Normally u would need to call someone to do it but is there a program that runs and then somehow communicate with your modem then to the telephone line to test how bad the line is?

Elephant
27-03-2004, 07:45 AM
> She has a telephone extension cord of about two
> metres long.She uses internal modem while i use an
> external.
> Does different modem affect the speed of the
> connection?
I find I get better results with an external modem in general.

> Is there a way to check her line using a program?
> Normally u would need to call someone to do it but is
> there a program that runs and then somehow
> communicate with your modem then to the telephone
> line to test how bad the line is?
If your friend has a Fax program installed like Bitware which comes with many modems you can Fax the Telecom test site.

Set the Fax program to send and auto receive faxes and send a Fax to 0800 108 208

A sort time later if all was set up correctly you will receive a two page fax from Telecom giving details of the line.

drcspy
27-03-2004, 09:58 AM
take your modem to her place and try it out on her system

tweak\'e
27-03-2004, 11:00 AM
how far away from the exchange are they ?

sounds simply like they have poor phone lines or they are on a pair gain line.

Jen C
27-03-2004, 11:09 AM
>She has a telephone extension cord of about two metres long

What happens if you bypass the extension cord and plug directly into the phone jack?

>Is there a way to check her line using a program?
>Normally u would need to call someone to do .....

The easiest thing to do is to call Telecom (123) and they will run a line check for free and check for background noise - it only takes a few minutes.

If your external modem gives a much better performance on their machine, they might wish to change to an external modem as well.

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I will try to get rid of her extension cord.But her computer is a bit far away from her telephone line hole.
I'll check with telecom too!!!
My teacher not sure where she lives suffering from slow connection from paradise too.its only me that is having a very fast connection.Im like downloading at 5.2k

godfather
27-03-2004, 01:44 PM
It also depends on what you are downloading and from where.

If the server at the other end is congested or slow, there is no way you can download faster than it can deliver. If the file is compressable it can make a difference.

Thats beyond the power of the ISP or Telecom to fix.

sam m
27-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Uplug Digital Sky from phone line if applicable.

sometimes helps

sam m

Susan B
27-03-2004, 02:03 PM
By all means try and see if you can improve your friend's connection/download speed with the things suggested here but don't be surprised if, at the end of the day, not much can be done.

For years my downloads have been WAY slower than everyone else's despite changing ISPs several times, changing to an external modem, changing to a dedicated phone line, etc etc etc. I got a little bit of an improvement but nothing made my connection as fast as those 5km closer than me to town so I guess I'm just a bit too far away from the exchange.

What really got my goat the other day though, is the fact that a friend who lives less than 2km from me in an older part of the suburb in a house at least 10 years older than mine (ie older wiring), on the same ISP always gets his downloads way above 5kB/s, sometimes even 7kB/s, whereas on a good day I was lucky to even reach 4kB/s. Very very rarely did I get anything downloading at 5kB/s even from a NZ site or a NZ hub.

Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw (the story of my life...).

Robin S_
27-03-2004, 02:23 PM
You didn't mention what sort of cptr your friend is using. If it is > 5 yrs old and is running with a PCI modem the modem will be using CPU resources for its needs thus slowing the system down. If this is the case she should be able to get some improvement by replacing the PCI internal modem with an ISA internal or an external - both of which do their own processing.

Robin S_
27-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Addendum to my previous post.

Some of the wiseheads around might be able to suggest a CPU speed above which a PCI modem wouldn't significantly tax the system.

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Shes using a pentium 500mhz 64 sd ram.She uses rothwell 56k modemI think its called rothwell.Roswell..?
Im running k6 200mhz 64 edo ram.hmm a big difference in speed rite?
She doesn't have sky digital.I have it though.its plugged into a different wall plug outside the lounge.
IM in a different room.
She is running a pci modem i think.My modem plugs into a com port not a usb port.
I think there's not much difference if the modem uses usb port am i correct?

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Her computer was made in the year 2000.Still has the label on the front of her pc

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 03:39 PM
I don't know where the telephone exchange is.What does it look like?

I've been around 6,7 streets around my suburb.I dun see anything looking like a telephone exchange.Infact i don't think there is any telephon exchange where i live?or is there>?

There's a brown thing about two streets away here.Its about umm 100 metres away?5 mins walking
Its a big brown box with a electricity sign.
Hmm is dat what da telephone exchange looks like?

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 03:42 PM
About the fax machine.How do u use a fax machine?Lol.I have one at home.its broken though.But i'll be using her fax machine since shes having the problem.DO i just dial then press start?

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Another entirely different question.AS you can see on elephants post.He could extract the words that are said by me then add a bit of it so that he doesn't need to keep posting all the time like i do.
How does he do that?

yingxuan
27-03-2004, 03:46 PM
The modem which has fax software.I thought fax machine.IS it possible to use a fax machine to call 0800 102 208?

drcspy
27-03-2004, 06:04 PM
didja try your modem on her puter yet ?...........and I've never noticed any performance hit on a puter using any modem even little old 166mhz systems.....

Jen C
27-03-2004, 06:16 PM
> Another entirely different question.AS you can see on
> elephants post.He could extract the words that are
> said by me then add a bit of it so that he doesn't
> need to keep posting all the time like i do.
> How does he do that?

This is quite easy to do, and can be done two different ways. Underneath the post you wish to reply to, hit "Reply". Above your text box you will see an link for Quote original. Clicking on that will duplicate the other persons post you are replying to, but each line will start with a > arrow. You do not need to quote the entire post, so just delete the un-necessary portions leaving the sentence/paragraph which pertains to your additional comments. If you wish to add comments that involves more than one person's post, you can simply copy and paste the lines from their posts into yours, but manually type an > arrow yourself at the front of each line or paragraph. If you have two duplicate windows/tabs open for the same thread, this makes it easy to copy from one browser window/tab and paste into the browser window/tab containing your reply box. This way one post can cover a variety of questions/comments/posts without having to make multiple posts to answer each individual person and you can still view the other thread in its entirety whilst replying.

A single > will turn the quoted text purple
>purple
>>two arrows will turn the text green
>>>and three arrows blue.

Always make sure you use the Preview button to make sure you have the > arrows displaying the quoted portion correctly.

Noel Nosivad
27-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey yingxuan,

Testing different settings might work, external modems I find way better than internal.

You could try lowering her maximum port speed to 57600 and testing it. If it's worse you can go back to 115200. Sometimes even lowering it than 57600 might have better performance. Trial and error testing.

How many phone devices does she have? Having a number of them as well as sharing them off a jack point can lower performance.

The extension may degrade the performance as well.

If possible, update the drivers, this sometimes can help.

There's probably a lot more you can do to test it out.

Noel Nosivad

yingxuan
28-03-2004, 05:49 AM
I haven't tried on her computer yet but will do it later.
Hmm i wonder if changing the extension cord works.She has two devices only .The wall plug has a double adapter.One of it is plugged into the phone and the other one has a 2-3 metre extension cord that travels to her room to her computer and she often plugs it in another extension cord to her computer or pull that cord out and plug it on her phone

yingxuan
28-03-2004, 05:51 AM
Im actually using a 5 metre extension cord too.No trouble with my connection.
IF she was to buy an external modem .Would u fink any 56k modem will do?As in different types of brand has different performance?I bought my modem in hong kong its by diamond.I was wondering if she was to buy a 56k modem at dicksmith will dat do?or should he look for the popular brands like dynalink etc?

yingxuan
28-03-2004, 05:52 AM
thanks jen c for the quoting

poss
28-03-2004, 02:47 PM
There are SO many things that can effect a dial up modem! Telecom MIGHT not offer any help as they only support speeds of 9600... However, you could try and get her to test d/l from paradise servers (files.paradise.net.nz). A lot of telecoms network IS old so that can mean a problem with line balance etc from somewhere in the street, cable from the street to your house, inside your house or any ext lead/double adaptors and as already stated, can also be her PC!
My fix for slow downloads to anyone now is just to get broadband then TCNZ will make sure you get the minimum d/l's!!!! Prices are dropping a lot so have a look into it....

stu140103
28-03-2004, 03:11 PM
> My fix for slow downloads to anyone now is just to
> get broadband then TCNZ will make sure you get the
> minimum d/l's!!!!

?:|

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-03-2004, 03:17 PM
> There are SO many things that can effect a dial up
> modem! Telecom MIGHT not offer any help as they only
> support speeds of 9600...

I thought it was 14,400? As that is the speed run by newer fax machines I think...

stu140103
28-03-2004, 03:18 PM
> I don't know where the telephone exchange is.What
> does it look like?

I donít know if there are the same all over NZ ?:|

But have a look out side the front yard for a round grey box (that is if your telephone lines are underground), that is where they connect the telephone to your house, then have a look long your street for a big slim green box, the next time I m down at the bottom of my street I will take a photo of one & upload it to once of my sites, I think that is the telephone exchange or something else to do with telephones ?:|

Hope this helps :)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Has she actually called her ISP and tried to get some support through them?

Often modem performance can be improved by changing the dial-up number (which will connect it to a different hardware bank), adding a modem string, slowing the max speed down, tweaking other settings.

Most ISP helpdesks are pretty experienced at dealing with these sort of problems, it is after all, what they do every day.

Obviously limiting the length of extension leads, and eliminating double adaptors etc will improve performance so do this wherever possible.

Alternatively, if you could post the actual make and model of the modem and OS of the problem machine perhaps some more constructive suggestions might be forthcoming.

Billy T
29-03-2004, 12:05 AM
> then have a look along your
> street for a big slim green box, the next time I m
> down at the bottom of my street I will take a photo
> of one & upload it to once of my sites, I think that
> is the telephone exchange or something else to do
> with telephones ?:|

That is not the exchange, that is just your local junction box (connection hub).

The telephone exchange will be a largish building, often sited next to a Post Office as a hangover from the old Post and Telegraph Service days.

My local is 2.5 Ks away in my local shopping centre, but they are always labelled Telecom and are permanently closed up because nobody works there unless on a fault call.

Telecom should be able to tell you where your nearest exchange is if you enquire about the installation of Jetstream (you don't have to actually get it installed, just ask how close the exchange is because there is a 5-7km limit for ADSL services.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)