PDA

View Full Version : Euro Anti-Trust... Joking?

Myke
26-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Is the Euro antitrust thing just a Joke? Last night I spent some time reading about Mario Monti's big ideas and bottom smacking punishment for evil Microsoft (half a billion is quite a smack). O.k. some bottom smacking is probably deserved but I have some concerns about Mario's motivation.

Shouldn't Apple be dragged off to anti-competitive court for bundling itunes, iphoto, it's own browser, Instant Messaging, Chat and the best free video editor?

Gee wiz, so in the future I could buy a new PC with Win something installed and find that it can pretty much do nothing out of the box. Lucky me, I think that I'll write a letter of appreciation to Mario Monti.

Should all free open source software be slated as this reduces competition and innovation at some point because man/woman can't live on air alone? I'm sure Bill preach something along those lines.

I get the feeling there is some ego spanking in there somewhere.

Sure smack Bill around for the naughty stuff. But don't punish consumers... I like Movie Maker because it is free and does simple little tasks ok at a price your average user can afford. If I want innovative and powerful video editing software I'll go buy it when I kick off the training wheels.

Do I mind that Microsoft's Instant messanger comes on my new box? No.
Do I feel that MS Paint is going to hold me back from purchasing Photoshop? Nah!

Should Microsoft make their code available to competitors?
I don't know...

Should Microsoft bundle other media players with their O/S? Hell no!
Do your own marketing, pay Bill some dosh to get your media player on the O/S CD or negotiate with the box maker.

Is bundling a CD player in a vehicle anticompetitive to other CD makers? I'm trying to follow the logic here.

Is anti-competitive about anti-competitve practices or making up for lazy - download disinterested end users?

Stick to what matters Mario Monti.

JohnD
26-03-2004, 11:54 AM
>Should all free open source software be slated as this reduces competition and innovation at some point because man/woman can't live on air alone? I'm sure Bill preach something along those lines.

Bill preaches along these lines since the competition and innovation that Open Source produces is starting to give him a real run for his money.