PDA

View Full Version : Virtual cd emulation software

rmcb
23-03-2004, 03:43 PM
I am setting up some computers for my sons kindy, I am looking for some sort of free cd emulation software so that the kids can run games, but not have them having to insert and remove cd's.
It must run on old P100 machines & Windows 95.
Thanks

Chilling_Silence
23-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Personally, Ive used Alcohol 120% (52% if you dont need to burn) and its brilliant!

It does however cost...

Ive heard that Daemon Tools will do it (for Free IIRC), but I havent used it so cant comment.

They were giving away copies of Alcohol 52% in an Aus PCA Disc a while back... Send me an email if you want mine, I have no use for it (Linux can natively mount ISO's).

Chill.

tweak\'e
23-03-2004, 04:09 PM
theres heaps of paid ones but google didn't turn up any free ones that run on 95 (most where for XP).

running it on a p100 might be fun. it might be a bit to slow. also how much hardrive space do you have free. you will need a lot and most of thos old pc's wo't have very big harddrives.

even tho its not something to be discussed here it may be better to go find some no-cd cracks for the games.

Chilling_Silence
23-03-2004, 04:58 PM
That's a good point, however I am still yet to find a No-CD patch for The Logical Journey of the Zoombini's which my family purchased some three - four years ago!

Pete O\'Neil
23-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Daemon Tools will do the job easy, plus its free. Nice and simple aswell

rmcb
23-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the help people.
Chill, I think I have this - Alcohol 52% in an Aus PCA Disc, will check.
Daemon Tools sounds interesting to, will have a look.
The No-CD patch I have looked at but can't find any for the games we have.......
Tweak'e, the biggest hdd is 1.2 gig, then 850mb, then 640mb, however each machine is only going to have 2 games so hopefully.......I will be ok.
Keep up the good work everyone.

tweak\'e
23-03-2004, 09:50 PM
> the biggest hdd is 1.2 gig, then 850mb, then 640mb

most of the progs i saw recommend a least 500mb free on the drive.
i guess it comes down to how well it can compress the image otherwise you may need to find some more hardrives.

Mzee
23-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Some years back we had a computer in the shop running Windows95 & it handled 4 spare parts catalogues on CD.
It had 2 CD drives & two CD's were copied to hard drive.
There was a command in the Autoexec.bat or Config.sys which resulted with a Folder being shown as a CD.
I can't remember what the commands were but there was no software involved.
I will try to find out.

rmcb
24-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah that would be great thanks.
Just trying Daemon Tools now.

tweak\'e
24-03-2004, 11:18 AM
what do you use to make the cd image ?

Chilling_Silence
24-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Who was that question to Tweak'e? (I dont have threaded message view..)

I use Alcohol in Doze, or dd in Linux :-)

tweak\'e
24-03-2004, 01:11 PM
>Who was that question to Tweak'e?

anyone !

deamon dosn't seem to have its own cd imageing. one of the other virtual drive progs i have used years ago had its own built in cd imageing and compression.

Mzee
24-03-2004, 01:54 PM
This may be the answer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SUBST
The description below is from the book
DOS the Easy Way by Everett Murdock Ph.D.

CLICK HERE for information about downloading the book.

Type: External (3.1 and later)

Syntax:

SUBST d: d:path
SUBST d: /D

Purpose: Substitutes a virtual drive letter for a path designation.

Discussion
Use the SUBST command to substitute a drive letter for a path in order to treat a virtual drive (a reserved area rather than an actual disk drive) as a physical drive.

In order to enter drive designations using any letter (other than just the letters for the physical drives installed in your computer), you may have to add this line to a CONFIG.SYS file that should be placed in the root directory of your startup drive:

LASTDRIVE=Z

Six DOS commands cannot be used with virtual drives created with the SUBST command. They are:

CHKDSK
DISKCOPY
FDISK
FORMAT
LABEL
SYS

If you enter the SUBST command without options , the program will display the name of the current virtual drives that are in effect (if any).

For more information on SUBST and other hard disk commands, see Chapter 3, Using Fixed Disks, in the downloadable book DOS the Easy Way.

Example
To create a virtual drive F for the path, SALES\LETTERS (under the root directory) of drive C, enter

subst f: c:\sales\letters

Read and write requests to either drive F or to C:\SALES\LETTERS will be stored in the C:\SALES\LETTERS directory area.

Back to the Easy DOS Command Index

Graham L
24-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Why not md c:\cdcopy
xcopy d:\*.* /s c:\cdcopy and then find the executable which starts the game and make an icon/shortcut of it? :D

Who needs a real "iso" image of a CD, then software to make it behave like a directory tree? It already is a directory tree, which happens to have been stored on a CD. The copy makes it back into a standard directory tree.

Pete O\'Neil
24-03-2004, 05:22 PM
use WinISO it is really easy to use. Creates .ISO files but can convert these to .BIN + .CUE files, and vice versa nice and easy. The lastest version of NERO allows for cd emulation but as with all the latest NERO software its bloated and a real pain