PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting a Laptop

JamesStewart
20-03-2004, 05:25 PM
We have a Toshiba laptop that came with those system disc's .. you know, the system retore disc's. We might want to completely reformate the hard drive on the laptop. I know how to do this with a desktop computer (just up the XP cd in, and boot it from the BIOS) but:

A) I don't know if the laptop has a BIOS and if it does, how to get into it to tell it to boot from a CD.

B)How to reformate the hard drive because your not using a normal XP cd, its the system restore disc's.

Any ideas?

Growly
20-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Laptops have BIOS, its just not as easy to get into them.

Drastic ideas:

1) Take HDD out and put it in desktop, you'll need an adapter.

2) Use floppies, they're bound to be booted from first.

JamesStewart
20-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Nope, that doesn't help me. I want to know the proper way.

metla
20-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Each manufactuer has a habit of assingning a diiferent key to access the bios,whats the brand and model.

You could just guess what it is.

Megaman
20-03-2004, 07:25 PM
to get into bios is usually f1, f2 or <del>

mine's in intel board and is f2

PressF1 User
20-03-2004, 09:08 PM
I use a Compaq laptop and I have to push the F10 ket at startup to access the BIOS.

drcspy
21-03-2004, 09:18 AM
just stuff the restore cd in and try booting see if it boots from it already if it does then you are not going to have to fiddle aroudn in the bios......
otherwise try f1/f2/f10/del/.........

Graham L
21-03-2004, 03:30 PM
How old is the Toshiba? If it's old enough it might have a programme called TSETUP (or something similar) as the BIOS interface. If so, make sure you have a copy of it before you format the disk. :D

dir c:\*setup*.* /s might find it. If it does exist it might be in a directory of its own, and there would probably be other programmes worth saving.

wintertide
21-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Toshibas usually require you to hold down the Esc key at startup and then it'll pop up saying 'Check system, then press [F1] key'.

Toshiba system restore discs usually use Ghost from what I know about them... it'll wipe your HDD first then re-image over the top. For extra security it may be best to download and chuck in the laptop a HDD scrub disk so none of your data is recoverable if you want to sell it.

JamesStewart
21-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi. WEll, worked out the BIOS key .. Esc BUT my smart father has forgoten the BIOS password! Smart eh? What options do we have? I and he do NOT want to take the laptop to pieces and get the BIOS battery out to reset the BIOS so what do we do?

P.S: I have lanned the laptop and copied the whole hard drive over to the other computer, so all the information is safe and backed up.

drcspy
21-03-2004, 07:56 PM
best you get the manual from toshiba on line ?.....

dwnz2003
21-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Did your dad set a BOIS password himself of did it come with one?
If it did you should be able to get it form Toshiba Support. Have you asked them?

wintertide
21-03-2004, 08:12 PM
There's a little trick that you can use to bypass the password... but it involves disassembling a parallel port cable and some resoldering. I don't want to tell everyone on PressF1 what it is in case it's used wrong, but get my email address out of my profile and I'll email it to you.

drcspy
21-03-2004, 08:23 PM
sounds interesting...........um......how could it be used 'wrong' .?...........I somehow doubt too many folks here would be interested in this for any 'wrong' reason lol

JamesStewart
21-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Plus the sound of resoildering a computer ... doesn't sound cool ah.

wintertide
21-03-2004, 08:40 PM
I've used it before and it's fine... it's actually just resoldering the parallel port cable. I didn't want ot put it on this site because I didn't want anyone with bad intentions to steal anyone's laptop and removing the password so they could sell it on.

drcspy
21-03-2004, 08:55 PM
if someone steals a puter i doubt they'll be put off by a password or want to bother doing some soldering