PDA

View Full Version : copying stuff to new PC's hard drive

Al Gore
19-03-2004, 01:17 PM
I've just bought a new PC (running Windows XP Pro) and want to copy a couple of gigs of files from my old Windows 98 PC's hard drive.
What's the easiest way.

Jester
19-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Take the old hard drive out of the win 98 PC, set the jumper on the back to slave (SL), and plug it onto the spare connector on the flat ribbon cable (or newer rounded cable) that goes from your XP PC's hard drive to the motherboard. Find a spare power connector inide the XP PC and plug that into the slave drive too.

Restart your PC. It should show the slave drive when you open windows explorer (windows key and 'e'). You can then copy/paste or drag/drop files from the old drive to the new drive.

J
:D

Susan B
19-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Or, if you are not game enough to try that then you can copy your data onto CDs (if you have a burner in your older computer) and move the files that way.

And if that is not possible you could network the two computers and transfer them that way.

Using CDs would be the easiest way, in my opinion.

00falcon
19-03-2004, 04:07 PM
for about $15 you can get a USB Network cable...

Muzz
19-03-2004, 09:04 PM
USB transfer cable and a little software program that comes with the cable will do the trick.
Gives 2 side by side windows on one of the screens and displays the contents of each drive...transfer whatever files you like. Is quick too.

peter.jonsson
19-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Yes, I would go for a Networking solution instead of installing the old HD into the new machine. Works perfectly....and gives you a 2nd PC to use for any use there is to think of..