PDA

View Full Version : When POSTs Go Bad



Growly
17-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Uh, in all my years of experience I have been taught by many people and lecturers alike that when POST finds problems, it beeps in code to tell us the problem.

But what does it mean when nothing beeps?

And the speakers are plugged in?
And I'm sure everything's meant to be plugged in and is in the right place....

And nothing comes on the screen?

And the screen gets no signal? (Ive tried different video cards)

Jacob4165
17-03-2004, 09:32 PM
as off personal experience maybe the ram or cpu aren't connected properly, maybe something is touching/connected to something it's not supposed to

Elephant
17-03-2004, 09:43 PM
> Uh, in all my years of experience I have been taught
> by many people and lecturers alike that when POST
> finds problems, it beeps in code to tell us the
> problem.

Yes.... True.
>
> But what does it mean when nothing beeps?

Inside the system unit there will be a connection from the motherboard to an internal speaker inside the system unit. Now if no beeps then ensure the INTERNAL speaker is connected to motherboard and the speaker works. You are not going to hear post codes unless the internal speaker works and connected to the motherboard in the first place.

Secondly you might want to check the video card.

External speaker will not generally output post codes.


>
> And the speakers are plugged in?
> And I'm sure everything's meant to be plugged in and
> is in the right place....
>
> And nothing comes on the screen?
>
> And the screen gets no signal? (Ive tried different
> video cards)

Check the internal speaker for post codes.
Check RAM inserted in right slots. If RAM not inserted correctly you may not get the computer to boot and once again no post codes possibly.

Growly
17-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Yeah by speakers I meant the internal ones. Hmmmmmm - i dont hear anything...

Elephant
17-03-2004, 10:04 PM
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Yeah by speakers I meant the internal ones. Hmmmmmm -
> i dont hear anything...

When you said "Speakers" I got a litle confused

There is only one speaker inside the system unit in my experience.

Growly
17-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Oh *laugh dont worry, it was my bad... i was thinking of the two cables...

But there still remains a problem.... no beeps!

robsonde
17-03-2004, 10:11 PM
the CSI team would like some backgroung info.....

what board/CPU?
where did it come from?
what did you change?
what if you remove ALL card and RAM?

Growly
17-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Well the truth comes out: It aint mine. Its robert6655 (check other post), i was just helping him out.

1) He has a GIGABYTE GA-7N400-L
2) He overclocked, but stopped before things got messy to be safe
3) He got it from PCsale.co.nz - theyve been very helpful
4) I didn't have time to do that... he will, and he'll fill us all in here.

Growly
17-03-2004, 10:23 PM
oh and 5) AMD Athlon XP 3000+

robert6655
17-03-2004, 10:33 PM
i have disconnected everything save cpu and cpu fan from the mobo and tried all jumper settings and still no hints of a post beep.

it all powers on but does nothing

:'(

robsonde
17-03-2004, 10:41 PM
i would point my finger at the CPU, would be cool if you cold get a knowen good to test with.

metla
17-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Dead mobo or cpu.Try the cpu first of course,then a mobo.If its been oc'd they may both be dead.

aern't you 2 the guys who run a business building and fixing computers?

Now you say you bought the system through a shop......and you have no idea how to even begin fixing it?

How would you look if you were called out to a job and you had no idea,or known good parts,or the ability to source known good parts immediatly?

Pheonix
17-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Ok, just confirm that the only thing plugged into the motherboard is the Pwr supply lead. No floppy, hard drive, CDROM or memory modules. The only thing should be the CPU & Motherboard. If it fails to beep, then you have either...
1/ Dead speaker
2/ Speaker on incorrect pins on Motherboard
3/ Dead CPU
4/ Dead Motherboard.

The only thing left is to do a CPU substitution.

Elephant
17-03-2004, 11:53 PM
> Ok, just confirm that the only thing plugged into the
> motherboard is the Pwr supply lead. No floppy, hard
> drive, CDROM or memory modules. The only thing should
> be the CPU & Motherboard. If it fails to beep, then
> you have either...
> 1/ Dead speaker
> 2/ Speaker on incorrect pins on Motherboard
> 3/ Dead CPU
> 4/ Dead Motherboard.

You are correct here I think.


I start when building system with M/B, CPU, CPU fan, RAM and video card and put this on a test with power supply before I put the lot in a case. Power supply is known good and the speaker I have here is known good.
If I don't get the right result there then either I didn't read the motherboard manual correctly or didn't do something I should have done regarding jumpers or otherwise stuffed up. Alternatively I just may have a faulty M/B, CPU, RAM or Vid Card. Possibly my known good P/S and / or speaker may have just died too. Hasn't happened so far but can happen.
>
> The only thing left is to do a CPU substitution.
That sounds like a good way to go and I believe you are correct.
The fact that the system was overclocked means there is a possibility the CPU overheated.

tweak\'e
17-03-2004, 11:57 PM
just to confuse things ...... some motherboards will not run at all (no post) if there is no ram installed.

Elephant
17-03-2004, 11:59 PM
> as off personal experience maybe the ram or cpu
> aren't connected properly, maybe something is
> touching/connected to something it's not supposed to

There is a possibility here too. I remember fixing a computer which had a spare screw lying between case and motherboard.

Good thought and it hadn't occurred to me as I was more interested in the overclocking thing.

Elephant
18-03-2004, 12:03 AM
That is true too.

Elephant
18-03-2004, 12:13 AM
> Oh *laugh dont worry, it was my bad... i was thinking
> of the two cables...

What two cables? You will have two wires from internal speaker to the motherboard. These two wires are normally connected to a black header. Have you tried turning the header 180 degrees and inserting over the same four pins on the motherboard? This assumes you have the header on the right pins in the first place. I refuse to do this operation at night as I'm blind and refuse to use glasses. It is easy to have this connected incorrectly. Normally over four pins and only two of which are used.
>
> But there still remains a problem.... no beeps!

drcspy
18-03-2004, 07:56 AM
in my experience no POST means ram or cpu dead

Growly
18-03-2004, 06:50 PM
> Dead mobo or cpu.Try the cpu first of course,then a
> mobo.If its been oc'd they may both be dead.
>
> aern't you 2 the guys who run a business building and
> fixing computers?
>
> Now you say you bought the system through a
> shop......and you have no idea how to even begin
> fixing it?
>
> How would you look if you were called out to a job
> and you had no idea,or known good parts,or the
> ability to source known good parts immediatly?
>

Thanks everyone, will do as suggested and get back to with results - except metla.

1) I had already figured that it was the motherboard, or the CPU. However, unlike you most probably would, metla, I'm not going to go and buy a new motherboard unless I know I absolutely have to.

2) Clearly you, too, have no Idea what you are doing. POST tests basic functions of the motherboard, and I have been taught that it is designed to beep when things go wrong. If, metla, it was a dead CPU, which i would not be surprised if it is, then can you explain to me, and guarantee that your explanation would work, as to why there is no beep? The motherboard manual clearly states "AmiBios Post Code Beeps : ... 5: Processor Error", and my question is: WHY NO BEEP?

3) Thankyou for your somewhat interesting remark to our business. This is completely irrelevant, and I see no point in explaining to you the incorrectness of your point, as it would waste both my time and yours. (If you want to make it personal, please email me.) But I'll go as far as saying that i cant afford to buy reserve stocks of motherboards just yet. Also, you claim we have no idea, but once again are wrong: I always have clear ideas of problems before coming here (I have difficulty getting nice answers out of people, case in point: yourself :D), and I was making sure before spending more money.

4) Everyone else:

i) By two speaker cables I meant the positive and the negative (Black and yellow in this case).

ii) Speakers are not faulty, they've been checked

iii) Power supply is brand new. Shows no signs of power supply problems.

iv) No way of doing any software based tests on that thing.

v) The ram light turns on instantly with power. It makes you wonder the point of it, as there seems no time for it to check them on a degree more than that they exist. Yes, RAM is in POST, but it isn't the only thing.

vi) Back to the main point: Why are there no beeps? Is it fair to assume by now that the motherboard is completely screwed over and that there is no reprival to be sought? If so, then the news is as grim as I thought : more money is needed.

vii) I'll replace some parts with some from my computer (bear in mind that we are talking about my friend's) - my computer, that I built (metla), and that works perfectly (metla). Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks guys.

drcspy
18-03-2004, 07:08 PM
again in my experience no beeps mean ram is not working.........sure if you remove the ram the sytsem will beep but if it's installed but stuffed it wont beep it just wont post either.........try swap some out and exchange with other ram if you can......same with cpu if you got a spare......

robert6655
18-03-2004, 07:16 PM
no i dont think you understand we have taken out the ram and it still wont post we have even tried ram from another computer. still no post

Growly
18-03-2004, 07:22 PM
He didn't mean to be so forward in that post. He meant:

" Hmmm... there are two RAM Sticks. We tried one, then the other, then none. Tomorrow I will try some more. "

drcspy
18-03-2004, 07:37 PM
yep try different ram

drcspy
18-03-2004, 07:38 PM
do the fans turn ?........

Growly
18-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah they all turn... power gets everywhere... cdrom spins... but no beep or screen!

drcspy
18-03-2004, 08:59 PM
seen that before and it was ram

Elephant
18-03-2004, 10:52 PM
> > Dead mobo or cpu.Try the cpu first of course,then
> a
> > mobo.If its been oc'd they may both be dead.
> >
> > aern't you 2 the guys who run a business building
> and
> > fixing computers?
> >
> > Now you say you bought the system through a
> > shop......and you have no idea how to even begin
> > fixing it?
> >
> > How would you look if you were called out to a job
> > and you had no idea,or known good parts,or the
> > ability to source known good parts immediatly?
> >
>
> Thanks everyone, will do as suggested and get back to
> with results - except metla.
But Metla can have His/Her opinion here.
>
> 1) I had already figured that it was the motherboard,
> or the CPU. However, unlike you most probably would,
> metla, I'm not going to go and buy a new motherboard
> unless I know I absolutely have to.
I have no idea where you or your friend sourced the Motherboard and nor do I care.
>
> 2) Clearly you, too, have no Idea what you are doing.
> POST tests basic functions of the motherboard, and I
> have been taught that it is designed to beep when
> things go wrong. If, metla, it was a dead CPU, which
> i would not be surprised if it is, then can you
> explain to me, and guarantee that your explanation
> would work, as to why there is no beep? The
> motherboard manual clearly states "AmiBios Post Code
> Beeps : ... 5: Processor Error", and my question is:
> WHY NO BEEP?
That is a very good question... Unfortunately I don't have an answer right now.

> 3) Thankyou for your somewhat interesting remark to
> our business. This is completely irrelevant, and I
> see no point in explaining to you the incorrectness
> of your point, as it would waste both my time and
> yours. (If you want to make it personal, please email
> me.) But I'll go as far as saying that i cant afford
> to buy reserve stocks of motherboards just yet. Also,
> you claim we have no idea, but once again are wrong:
> I always have clear ideas of problems before coming
> here (I have difficulty getting nice answers out of
> people, case in point: yourself :D), and I was
> making sure before spending more money.

I went as far as downloading the motherboard manual for the Gigabyte motherboard you have.
>
> 4) Everyone else:
>
> i) By two speaker cables I meant the positive and
> the negative (Black and yellow in this case).
OK.
>
> ii) Speakers are not faulty, they've been checked
OK
>
> iii) Power supply is brand new. Shows no signs of
> power supply problems.
OK
>
> iv) No way of doing any software based tests on that
> thing.
Very true.
>
> v) The ram light turns on instantly with power. It
> makes you wonder the point of it, as there seems no
> time for it to check them on a degree more than that
> they exist. Yes, RAM is in POST, but it isn't the
> only thing.
>
> vi) Back to the main point: Why are there no beeps?
> Is it fair to assume by now that the motherboard is
> completely screwed over and that there is no
> reprival to be sought? If so, then the news is as
> grim as I thought : more money is needed.

I generally use Soltek or Gigabyte motherboards for all computers I have built and I found just one problem with one Gigabyte motherboard. This was returned to supplier for the same make and model.
>
> vii) I'll replace some parts with some from my
> computer (bear in mind that we are talking about my
> friend's) - my computer, that I built (metla), and
> that works perfectly (metla). Will let you know how
> I get on.

I would like to know how you get on. Just one or two points here... Have you inserted video card and if so what make and model?

I take it that the machine has been overclocked. Why would this be done with a 3200+ CPU?
>
> Thanks guys.

Assuming your motherboard can take the 3200+ then insert that in place of the one you have now. This hopefully will narrow the problem to the motherboard.

Elephant
18-03-2004, 10:59 PM
> He didn't mean to be so forward in that post. He
> meant:
>
> " Hmmm... there are two RAM Sticks. We tried one,
> then the other, then none. Tomorrow I will try some
> more. "

There are four slots for RAM on that motherboard. In which slots are you putting the RAM... Max 3 Gigs.

robsonde
18-03-2004, 11:07 PM
> > 2) Clearly you, too, have no Idea what you are
> >doing.
> >POST tests basic functions of the motherboard, and
> >I have been taught that it is designed to beep when
> >things go wrong. If, metla, it was a dead CPU,
> >which i would not be surprised if it is, then can you
> >explain to me, and guarantee that your explanation
> >would work, as to why there is no beep? The
> >motherboard manual clearly states "AmiBios Post
> >Code Beeps : ... 5: Processor Error", and my question is:
> > WHY NO BEEP?

> That is a very good question... Unfortunately I don't
> have an answer right now.


if the CPU is faulty you will get 5 beeps.
if the CPU is cooked then it will often hold the reset line low and so stop the POST starting and so no beeps.

the no beeps could be the CPU cooked or the motherborad, due to the fact that you did over clocking i would think the CPU has been cooked but this in its self might have done bad things to the motherboard.

I dont think you can find out much more with out having part so swap with.

one option might be just to send it back as faulty and see what the shop says.

one last thought is have you jumpered out the BIOS (reset) ??

metla
18-03-2004, 11:12 PM
> > Dead mobo or cpu.Try the cpu first of course,then
> a
> > mobo.If its been oc'd they may both be dead.
> >
> > aern't you 2 the guys who run a business building
> and
> > fixing computers?
> >
> > Now you say you bought the system through a
> > shop......and you have no idea how to even begin
> > fixing it?
> >
> > How would you look if you were called out to a job
> > and you had no idea,or known good parts,or the
> > ability to source known good parts immediatly?
> >
>
> Thanks everyone, will do as suggested and get back to
> with results - except metla.
>
> 1) I had already figured that it was the motherboard,
> or the CPU. However, unlike you most probably would,
> metla, I'm not going to go and buy a new motherboard
> unless I know I absolutely have to.
>
> 2) Clearly you, too, have no Idea what you are doing.
> POST tests basic functions of the motherboard, and I
> have been taught that it is designed to beep when
> things go wrong. If, metla, it was a dead CPU, which
> i would not be surprised if it is, then can you
> explain to me, and guarantee that your explanation
> would work, as to why there is no beep? The
> motherboard manual clearly states "AmiBios Post Code
> Beeps : ... 5: Processor Error", and my question is:
> WHY NO BEEP?
>
> 3) Thankyou for your somewhat interesting remark to
> our business. This is completely irrelevant, and I
> see no point in explaining to you the incorrectness
> of your point, as it would waste both my time and
> yours. (If you want to make it personal, please email
> me.) But I'll go as far as saying that i cant afford
> to buy reserve stocks of motherboards just yet. Also,
> you claim we have no idea, but once again are wrong:
> I always have clear ideas of problems before coming
> here (I have difficulty getting nice answers out of
> people, case in point: yourself :D), and I was
> making sure before spending more money.
>


i hardly see my reply as being not nice,i was trying to open your eyes to a little slice of reality as far as being in the bizzo is concerned,and no i dont purchase through shops,i own one.

If you attempt to enter the market with your current set up then you will very quickly earn yourself a bad name.You may not like what i have to say but i feel you need to hear it.The remarks were not intended as a personal attack of any nature.

As to the cpu and no beeps?....I make my call from experience.Been there,dont that many a time.Twice this week alone thank you very much.

Besides which,how can you expect a dead cpu to run the code which will report the error?

Growly
19-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Well thanks everyone, and sorry metla - I'm used to having people get nasty on places like this.

Well it's now out of my hands, its been sent back. Not my decision. Had it been, I would have checked the CPU with my 2800, and my ram. He only had 1GB Max at any time, and they were in the right slots.

If the CPU Is holding up bios (funny, i was told it shouldnt - but in hindsight it makes alot of sense), then my test would have confirmed that.

Anyway, thanks everyone...

PS. My original hunch was the Mobo or the CPU.... thanks for the reassurance.

Elephant
19-03-2004, 11:10 PM
I would like to know the end result and how it was fixed.

Possibly others might like to know too.

Growly
20-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Ok then, I'll get back to you when I am told :D