PDA

View Full Version : HELP COMPUTER FAILS TO BOOT

robert6655
17-03-2004, 08:06 PM
i was doing work on my computer when i had to reboot, the computer hpwever did not show anything on the screen although i could hear everything inside the computer going about its merry way (hdd etc)

amd athlon xp 3000+
Ga 7n400 mobo
1024mb pc3200 ddr400
ge-force fx 5600xt
80gb seagate barracuda

any help would be much appreciated

nadius
17-03-2004, 08:13 PM
maybe the display cable has come loose from the rear of the pc.

if not that try re-seating (removing and then re-inserting) the video card.

Tobas
17-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi Robert
It might be helpful if you told us exactly what "work" you were doing prior to being told to reboot, if that is what any message said.

I presume you have tried reseating the video card and double checked the video cable connection.

Do you get any system beeps? Due to the HDD activity you hear, I think it is reasonable to assume that the computer has got past POST, though I may well be wrong :-)

You have a good system - good luck.

robert6655
17-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Well.... a bit of overclocking. But It was alll working perfectly, and I returned it to standard (factory preset) settings.

To make that clear: I overclocked it, and decided to play it safe and return to normal settings, shortly afterwards it died.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

robert6655
17-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Oh, and no beep.. not for the minute i left it on. This means no POST. This means motherboard, no?

Kenshin
17-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Sorry to hear that mate...

no POST could mean a number of things:
Bad mobo, ram, cpu or psu.

Try clearing CMOS and then boot again ...
this is usually done by a jumper on ur mobo or u can just simply yank the battery off the mobo.

hope this helps and good luck!

Elephant
17-03-2004, 09:57 PM
You may not have cooked things yet.

Possible overheating of CPU or Video card or RAM.

I haven't yet checked the motherboard manual but there should be a jumper to clear CMOS. Try that then you will have to get into the BIOS and check settings from there.

Some Gigabyte motherboards have a dual BIOS.

Your motherboard may not yet be dead.

Just my humble opinion.

Growly
17-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi, well im robert6655s friend, (I have another post about no BIOS beeps, but that was so I could learn what it means when nothing beeps).

His motherboard has a light, indicating that RAM was OK, we even changed RAM and checked it. I tried another VGA Card for him - same result. Im not sure about his motherboard jumpers, he'll have to post about that - but it may be SEVERE overheating :-s

robert6655
17-03-2004, 10:12 PM
it shouldnt be heating seeing as how i just installed 5 new fans like 3 days ago.

i reset all the jumpers to the position they were in when i got the mobo. Still no help.

drcspy
18-03-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm betting cpu gone west.........

Megaman
18-03-2004, 04:46 PM
i think it is the screen gone bye bye

ilikelinux
18-03-2004, 04:58 PM
well i think that it is the athlon that went poo poo's

Tobas
18-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi Growly
As there is a light indicating the ram is OK and as the ram is checked during POST, it may well be that POST has indeed completed and the problem is elsewhere.

I may be wrong ,but I thought on switching on the computer, you should receive one beep, which indicates that the power supply has been detected as OK. If that is indeed the case and there is not one single beep - then I am lost :-(

metla
18-03-2004, 05:25 PM
The one beep is to signify that POST has completed with no problems found.

The lack of beeps means it aint even performing POST.