PDA

View Full Version : OT Cheap, cheap phone calls to UK etc

Misty
17-03-2004, 06:04 PM
I have done a search on this and am surprised it does not seem to have been mentioned before.

Anyway I am willing to be shot down in flames because it probably has.

Ok - enough of the intro. My wife and I - "oldies" that we are, have two kids overseas. It took a while - because the Telecom rates are much, much better than they were (please don't scoff - they really are !!).

We eventually realised, as does every young Asian student, that the rates for using the calling card "Chi-tel" (amongst others) are really amazingly low. We pay 4 cents a minute to call the UK - really !!

Where can you buy these cards ?? - Just about everywhere ! Try your local shop where you buy a newspaper.

I hope this is "illuminating" for other "oldies".

Please, please, do not make this into the usual "get" Telecom string. We have enough of those and we have heard of all of the arguements. We really need to move on ! Just make choices and live with them or shut up.

Wishing you all the best. You are wonderful people (most of you !)
Misty
:) :)

Susan B
17-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Wow!! Thanks for that info Misty, I will pass it on to my fossils as they are frequent callers to UK rellies. :-)

Dolby Digital
17-03-2004, 08:30 PM
>>I will pass it on to my fossils
Is that a term of endearment?

Susan B
17-03-2004, 08:52 PM
> >>I will pass it on to my fossils
> Is that a term of endearment?

Why, of course it is, Dolby! Fossils are valuable, aren't they! ;-)

Ron24
20-03-2004, 02:00 PM
If you ring in off peak time (7am to 8am) Monday to Friday it is only 2.5 cents a minute, UK, Canada and USA.
Go for it...Ron.

Misty
20-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi Ron
Does this apply to Chi-Tel in particular ? Each card has its own unique set of parameters. I am not aware that Chi-Tel has an off-peak period.

Do you mean 7pm to 8am, as the period you have quoted is only one hour ?

One thing to watch is that some cheaper ones than Chi-Tel give an echo when you are speaking.

Misty

Steve_L
20-03-2004, 03:48 PM
I believe Chi-Tel only works in the main centres such as AKL, Wgtn, Chch.

So if you don't live in one of the big cities, try the Kia Ora card. 12 cents a minute to most countries and NZ except only 5 cents a minute to the 3 big cities noted above.

Laura
20-03-2004, 03:55 PM
My dairy in Dunedin sells Chi-Tel cards.

Guess that makes us a "main centre" too..?

Neil McC
20-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Must look into this!!
Have just joined up with ZTalk,which is TelstraClear. $1.99 per 15 minutes to the UK,any time,as my wife is over there at the mo.

Noel Nosivad
20-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Hey Misty and everyone else,

Check your local dairies etc, and see if they have posters on the calling cards, as there are many, at all different prices, one type of card maybe better at calling places further than closer like the pacific while the others maybe cheaper calling closer than further places.

Check them all out, but don't rely on one card for better prices to different locations, always compare them as others can better the prices.

Noel Nosivad

Laura
20-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Misty:

Chi Tel now has Happy Hour Specials (on the latest info I just collected at my dairy) for one hour per weekday, as Ron said.

That's 7-8am for UK, USA & Canada..and it's 5-6pm for Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan & Malaysia. And calling China between midday and 1pm is 1 cent. Yes, one..

I see that the 4cent-per-minute to UK is also called "off peak" in the small print & applies 3am to 3pm Monday to Friday. It doesn't include GST.
Available in the 4 centres already mentioned plus Hamilton & Palmerston North...no co-incidence they're student centres, I guess.

I haven't tried this, but there seem to be other options also.For anyone interested, their Customer Service is 0800 22 44 83

Ron24
22-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi Laura, Have been using Chi Tel for sometime now and find it excellent. Bought the original one from the Chinese fruit shop for $10.00 and had a lot of use out of it to the UK and Aussie.

If you use the happy hour at 2.5 cents a minute, the ten bucks goes a long way and you can do a lot of talking.

The only problem I can see is the restriction to use only in the major cities.

Telecom will hate our guts...Cheers Ron..

Misty
22-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Ron and Laura
Actually there is no restriction on use to major cities. I picked that info up from one of the posters outside of a shop. Also I rang there 0800 number a few mins ago and checked. Outside of the major cities you ring a 0508 number first and it does cost more so it would definitely check to find out all the detail first !!!!!

Good luck to the people in Kawerau, Eketahuna, etc
Misty
:) :) :)

Misty
22-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Hi Ron and Laura
Actually there is no restriction on use to major cities. I picked that info up from one of the posters outside of a shop. Also I rang there 0800 number a few mins ago and checked. Outside of the major cities you ring a 0508 number first and it does cost more so it would definitely check to find out all the detail first !!!!!

Good luck to the people in Kawerau, Eketahuna, etc
Misty
:) :) :)

Ron24
22-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi Misty,If you ring via the 0508 number, there is a surcharge of 20 cents per minute, which is not as cheap as some of the ISP's phone charges..
Cheers Ron..