PDA

View Full Version : 1MB L2 Cache

Cyrin
17-03-2004, 04:30 PM
I recently bought a new computer. I asked for a 1MB L2 cache but the BIOS says it's only 512KB. The shop says that it is definitely 1MB and the BIOS is not current. I updated the BIOS to the latest version but it still reads 512KB. Utilities like Sisoft show 512KB as they read from the BIOS.
Do I have 1MB or not? How do I find out without fiddling with the chip inside the case?

chiefnz
17-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Well as far as I know when it comes to 1MB L2 cache, the only processors that have it are Intel's new Prescott CPU's... not to sure about AMD's chips.

I definitely know that the Prescott's have 1MB L2 cache.

It has nothing to do with your mobo chipset, L2 cache is found on the CPU.

What kind of CPU do you have?

cheers
chiefnz

Cyrin
17-03-2004, 04:50 PM
It's an Intel 3.2Ghz. I definitely paid more for the larger cache.

chiefnz
17-03-2004, 04:52 PM
PS:

BTW if the store says it is a 1MB L2 cache CPU take it to them have them prove it while you're there.

Otherwise have them install the 1MB L2 cache CPU, which is what you asked for, you have rights as a consumer. Basically they are deceiving you if it actually isn't the 1MB L2 cache CPU you asked for.

I believe that sort of thing falls under the Consumer Guarantees Act.. I speak under correction though :)

cheers
chiefnz

DangerousDave
17-03-2004, 05:46 PM
I don't believe the 3.2ghz P4 has 1mb of cache unless it is the extreme edition but then again thats very expensive, cache is very expensive. The AMD 64 has 1mb of cache as well.

I would say that unless it specifies Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (which is really a cut down xeon) you'll be looking at 512k of cache... correct me if i'm wrong.

It will come under the consumer guarentees act, although you could have some difficulty proving they said 1mb of L2 cache!

- David

Jester
17-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Yep, Section 9 of the Consumer's Guarantees Act 1993 clearly states:

CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
PART 1 - GUARANTEES IN RESPECT OF SUPPLY OF GOODS
9. Guarantee that goods comply with description—

(1)Subject to section 41 of this Act, where goods are supplied by description to a consumer, there is a guarantee that the goods correspond with the description.

(2)A supply of goods is not prevented from being a supply by description by reason only that, being exposed for sale or hire, they are selected by a consumer.

(3)If the goods are supplied by reference to a sample or demonstration model as well as by description, the guarantees in this section and in section 10 of this Act will both apply.

(4)Where the goods fail to comply with the guarantee in this section,—

(a)Part 2 of this Act gives the consumer a right of redress against the supplier; and

(b)Part 3 of this Act may give the consumer a right of redress against the manufacturer.

Under Section 41, the above doesn't apply when suppied to Trade, by Charitible Services for the user's benefit, via auction or competitive tender.

Ask them to prove what you thought you asked and paid for.

J
:D

the highlander
17-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Prescotts have 1mb L2 cache (except for the 2.8 I think which has 512kb)

Extreme editions have 512kb L2 Cache and 2mb L3 cache

PoWa
17-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Yah I just checked the intel (http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4/index.htm?iid=ipp_desk_proc+prod_p4p&) site and it looks like the 3.2E chip is the one with 1mb L2 cache. Not sure what the 'E' means.

Have you tried aida32 to see what that says about the cpu??

Who did you buy the cpu from?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-03-2004, 06:30 PM
I noticed that the Asus P4S800MX mobo says it supports Intel P4 Prescott, however, specifications only say it goes up to 512k, have you got this board?

Cyrin
17-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Here's what AIDA said:

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4HT, 3200 MHz (4 x 800)

Motherboard Name Intel Rock Lake D865PERL (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM)

Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE

It reports the L2 cache as 512kb.

the highlander
17-03-2004, 07:07 PM
How old is the board ? Anything board with chipset purchased after october last year should support prescotts right out of the box

PoWa
17-03-2004, 07:11 PM
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_proc.htm

Check your revision number on your motherboard. If it is:

AA C27650-209 or later
AA C27646-210 or later
AA C26719-211 or later
AA C27648-208 or later
AA C40926-202 or later.

Then your board can support the 1mb cache. If the revision number aint there, then I guess it can't.

"Board Revision note: A small bar-coded label, similar to the diagram shown below, can be found on the component side of the desktop board. The numbers following the letters "AA" can help identify the type and version of your desktop board. The AA contains a 6 digit main number, and a 3 digit dash number (the 3 numbers following the "-".

The statement "...or later" refers to the dash number of the AA (the three numbers following the "-"). If this number is greater than the number listed in the table, the board supports the associated processor(s).

If your 6 digit main number is not listed in the table, contact your system manufacturer for processor support information."

SKT174
17-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Try Intel CPU ID (http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/frequencyid/sb/CS-007623.htm) utility :)

Cyrin
18-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks it is a supported board being AA C27646-211

Cyrin
18-03-2004, 03:44 PM
The system is only a couple of weeks old.

I've tried the Intel CPI ID utility but it tells me the same as the BIOS, which is the latest from INTEL. Hmm...

PoWa
18-03-2004, 06:48 PM
And you say you've updated your bios as well. Take your evidence and compile it into an email and send it to the place you bought it from. They've obviously given you the wrong chip.

Make them send out the new chip before returning the old one, so no down time for you. But they might not like that idea. Start quoting consumer act etc. The word 'lawyer' produces marvellous results.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-03-2004, 07:41 PM
> like that idea. Start quoting consumer act etc. The
> word 'lawyer' produces marvellous results.

In today's society, it amazes me how powerful these people with the title "Lawyers" are. I just can't wait till be one....

Similarly, "tax auditors" do similar good when talking to a business.