PDA

View Full Version : XP Reinstall loses 15GB

sam m
17-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi
I had planned to reinstal windows XP Pro and then was going to dual boot with Xandros one day.
I previously had XP dual boot to Mandrake. Mandrake had 11GB and the balance of my 40GB hard drive was windows. I had run out of space so decided today to reinstal windows to the full hard drive until I could get my hands on Xandros.

Now,
As I was installing XP it came up to screen with the different partitions that I had previously created. The options were to there delete partitions and to instal XP on one of them. I chose to delete the other partitions and installed XP on C Drive. I thought that by deleting the other partitions that it would automatically reassign that space to the one and only OS I currently have. Instead what I have now is XP installed on C: with the total at 25GB.

Is there a simple way to get the remaining 15GB back?
or will I have to go through the reinstal again but choose a different option when it comes to the partitioning screen again.

At the time I was deleting those other partitions it said that there was some space that was unpartitioned but I could not do anything at the time with that space.

cheers
sam m

Susan B
17-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Can you not go into Disk Management and create a new 15GB partition from the unallocated hard drive space? I would have thought XP would be able to do that..... ?:|

PoWa
17-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Partition magic can merge the unused space into your XP partition. No more comments.

sam m
17-03-2004, 07:13 PM
> Partition magic can merge the unused space into your
> XP partition. No more comments.

except all fixed