PDA

View Full Version : direct cable connection

debra
17-03-2004, 03:17 PM
How on earth do I transfer my files from my old pc to my new one via parallel cable connection. Have established a connection but other than that I don't have a clue and I'm stumped, any help would be appreciated.

B.M.
17-03-2004, 03:45 PM
What operating system's debra?

I've never managed to get Win98se -> XP to work.

Make sure you've got file sharing turned on for your HDD and the files you want to transfer.

I take it the machines are set up as host and guest ok but cant see the files?

It can be a little tricky until you've done it a couple of times.

I've got to pop out but I'm sure if you can supply a little more detail the problem can be solved.

Susan B
17-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Try the instructions/information on this page (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm) and maybe this page (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpdcc9i.htm).

debra
17-03-2004, 06:11 PM
old pc is running 95 and the new one is XP. when we bought the cable it sounded so easy, but yeah, it's tricky alright. we have the connection initiated but it tells me that some protocols are not quite right...not sure how to fix that, I think it was a fluke when it connected at the start. I have set up file share on the old computer but I'm not sure how to do that on the new one..maybe I'll have a scout around and see if I can do that. Somebody told me to download laplink, but I dunno what to do with that either. Thank you in advance for any further help or suggestions.
regards, Deb

Susan B
17-03-2004, 08:38 PM
If it becomes too tricky, have you thought about putting the hard drive from the old computer into the new one and transferring your data that way?

debleigh
17-03-2004, 09:37 PM
That was a great help Susan, thank you. I have been able to set up a connection, what I don't understand is how to get the computer to actually transfer my files...think I'm gonna have to do it online and download the pics from the web-site I have them on.
Thanks again :o)

B.M.
17-03-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm bushed on XP Debra but if you can get it up and running it's well worth it.

I suggest the protocol your talking about is NetBEUI. Now, if this is not turned on it could be the problem.

My problem is I can't remember where in Win95 you turn this protocol on.
(celebrating Paddy"s day isn't helping either) I remember it's a bugger to find and I'll probably wake up in the middle of the night with the answer so I'll post it then. :D

B.M.
17-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Just had a thought as I was heading for bed.

If you click Start - Settings - Control Panel Then, Double Click "Networks"
what do you have? Any sign of NetBEUI or do we have to add it?

I think that's right for Win95, and may work for XP. Not having a 95 or XP machine isn't helping but never mind.