PDA

View Full Version : Security Settings

karent
17-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Hi all. What do I need to change on my (WinXP Pro) PC settings to stop the "You are not authorised to view this page ..." response when I attempt to download an .exe file? And while I'm at it, does anyone know what the waiting time is for TelstraClear to set up a cable modem connection (I already have the cable)? Happy St Patricks Day :D

Jim B
17-03-2004, 11:49 AM
It sounds as if you need to login to the site with a password to access the download.
If you give the link to the site we can check it out for you.

karent
17-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks, but no that's not the issue (see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp< /a> - no password(s) required). I just can't download any .exe files for some reason.

Jim B
17-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Your security settings in IE are set too high to allow downloading of .exe files.

In Internet Explorer go to Tools\Internet Options

On the Security tab press "Default Level" then press "Apply"
On the Privacy tab (IE6 only) press "Default" then press "Apply" and OK

karent
18-03-2004, 08:58 AM
"Your security settings in IE are set too high to allow downloading of .exe files.

In Internet Explorer go to Tools\Internet Options

On the Security tab press "Default Level" then press "Apply"
On the Privacy tab (IE6 only) press "Default" then press "Apply" and OK"

I made the changes suggested but still no luck. Does anyone have any other ideas? My partner tells me the other two PCs in the household also don't download .exe files. Don't ask me why we have 3 PCs...

Susan B
18-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Internet Explorer does not appear to want to play for some reason. There could be another program preventing access such as Norton's Internet Security or an ad-blocker if you have something like that installed.

If not then maybe you could try another browser, eg Opera, Firefox or Mozilla?

linw
18-03-2004, 04:36 PM
It's not IE's security settings as far as I can tell as I set my "Internet " sec setting to "High" and I got an error msge relating to not being able to download the "file" not, as you reported, being unable to access the "page". Mmmm, curious.

Perhaps the info that none of your PCs can access the page is significant. Have any changes been made to the system lately? (Assuming you used to be able to download exe files).

(Don't ask me why I have 3 PCs, either!!!).

Graham L
18-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Might it be the settings of the XP firewall?

Another possible reason for the "you do not have authority..." message is that you might have used a link to directly access the file. A lot of sites won't allow that direct access--- they have advertisements on their homepage they want you to see.:D Try editing the URL line --- knocking off one level at a time until you get access, then navigating down to the file you want.

karent
19-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions so far. I haven't tried the latest ones yet (I'm @ work at present, not home where the problem is). I've been thinking, though. Could it be Zone Alarm or Pest Patrol or maybe McAfee?:|

Susan B
19-03-2004, 02:06 PM
> I've been thinking, though. Could it be Zone Alarm or Pest Patrol or maybe McAfee

Stranger things have happened. ;-)

Disable them and try downloading a file. Make sure that Win XP's firewall is running first though, to protect your computer from the Blaster worm.

And don't forget to re-enable them afterwards. :-)