PDA

View Full Version : Can't print dos programs

David_B
16-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi Folks,
I can"t get my Canon LPB-800 laser printer to print from any of my DOS-based programs, nor can I print anything from the command line.
Am using Windows Me.
Anyone help please,
Dave.

metla
16-03-2004, 09:37 PM
The year is 2004.

metla
16-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Actually,ignore that remark if you well,it was neither funny nor helpful.

well,i thought it funny for the second it took to write.....

JohnD
16-03-2004, 10:05 PM
When you attempt to print do you get anything or does it just go into a "black hole". From memory when you set up a printer in Windows, it asks you if you want to be able to print from DOS - did you tick that option?

robsonde
16-03-2004, 10:07 PM
when you install the print driver it will often ask if you want support to print from dos.

maybe you can uninstall the printer and then reinstall it and say yes to printing from dos.

good luck

godfather
16-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Did it ever work?

Its a GDI (Graphical Device Interface) printer, and these are often "Windows only" unless a separate driver supports some basic DOS functionality.

Are you really sure of the model name?
Any chance you have a couple of letters transposed? (LBP or LPB?)

PoWa
16-03-2004, 11:02 PM
> The year is 2004.

>> Actually,ignore that remark if you well,it was neither funny nor helpful.
>> well,i thought it funny for the second it took to write.....

I'm confused. What were you trying to point out in the first place? lol

metla
16-03-2004, 11:31 PM
That dos isnít necessary supported by devices in this day in age.

metla
16-03-2004, 11:32 PM
arrgh,letters missing

**necessarily

mikebartnz
17-03-2004, 01:09 AM
I go with robsonde with this one but I think you can allow it with an installed printer

robsonde
17-03-2004, 01:45 AM
that depend on the driver , some only give you the choice at install time.

Elephant
17-03-2004, 07:53 AM
What happens if you try this:-

Go into Notepad and create a small document that just says "test" and and save as test.txt. Make sure you know where to find it. The root directory on the c:\ drive may be best for this.

Open a DOS prompt and type "C:\"
Then type "copy test.txt > lpt1"
Just type what is in between the quote marks, not the quotes themselves.

Do the same again only use "copy test.txt > prn"

What happens?

ugh1
17-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Even if the printer is a GDI only type, you can still print from DOS if you setup a capture on lpt1.

Belive it or not, the windows help will tell you how to capture a printer port for printing from DOS...

leshibbard
17-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Elephant, iv'e just come into the 21st century and have Canon Bubble Jet attached to a USB connection.

None of the good old Dos software programs will dive into the USB.

Those two suggestions don't work either.

Don't supose there is an adaptor connection imilar to the Scanner Printer switch?.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Les 3

Graham L
17-03-2004, 12:57 PM
If you're producing a text file you should be able to redirect it to a file. Then print the file from Windows. Not elegant, but ...

David_B
17-03-2004, 09:50 PM
To Elephant:
I created the file as suggested and viewed it with "type test.txt" at the command line, so the file can definitely be accessed ok.
When I tried to print it with "copy test.txt > lpt1" and "copy test.txt > prn" it responded with "file cannot be copied to itself".
So I went to my old Windows 3.1 computer connected to an HP 500 deskjet and performed the same tests. "copy test.txt > lpt1" and "copy test.txt > prn" produced the same response as before, but "print test.txt" asked me to confirm that [prn] was the destination then, on hitting the <ENTER> key, it printed ok as expected.
The LBP-800 driver does not provide the option of printing from DOS.
But all may not be lost because Tech Support at Canon have put me on to www.dosprn.com who have a shareware program to print DOS stuff on a non-Dos supported printer. I have downloaded this file but haven't got it to work yet so have e-mailed for instructions.
Will report on how I get on.
Dave.

Terry Porritt
17-03-2004, 10:00 PM
You dont need the '>' if you use the copy command, just: copy file.txt lpt1
This assumes you are issuing the copy command from the directory where file.txt resides, otherwise add the path, eg copy c:\file.txt a: says copy file.txt from root of C drive to the a: floppy drive.

Mzee
19-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I use an old Dos "Professional File" Data base,(runs a treat on XP), but my HP630c printer will only print from the Dos HP500 driver if it has a Black (20) cartridge installed. When the black ran out I had to export the file as ASCII and load into Word Pad. Much to my surprise it retained the original database layout. I then printed it in Windows with the colour cartridge.
The printer must have a LPT1 interface to work in Dos.

David_B
23-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Folks,
I now have all my DOS-based boat design and QBASIC programs printing successfully with DOSprn. You can download the shareware program at www.dosprn.com. It costs $NZ23.78 and well worth the money, I reckon.
They have an excellent support service (support@dosprn.com). Initially I had a problem with the printouts (graphics printed OK but not text). They painstakingly went through all the possibilities with me until the problem was fixed (printer configuration problem).
For convenience I have set up a phantom printer named Dosprint configured to suit the program. I make this the default before using the program.
Cheers,
Dave.

Elephant
29-03-2004, 11:44 PM
> Elephant, iv'e just come into the 21st century and
> have Canon Bubble Jet attached to a USB connection.
OK.
>
> None of the good old Dos software programs will dive
> into the USB.
OK
>
> Those two suggestions don't work either.
OK
>
> Don't supose there is an adaptor connection imilar to
> the Scanner Printer switch?.
I would not have a clue there.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
In your BIOS is there an option to turn on Legacy devices? USB keyboard etc.

Some printers will require drivers to work with MSDos or PCDos. Some older printers will emulate IBM or Epson with dip switches. Later printers possibly don't have this facility.

I do have a Panasonic 2123 printer sitting here which will connect to the LPT1 port. Free to a good home.

I have no idea what you are trying to print but you can have two or more printers connected to one PC.

>
> Les 3