PDA

View Full Version : How to scan & print a background behind a list!!

Maryann
16-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Oh me oh my....how can I explain what I would like to do!!?? ?:| ?:|

I want to copy a study schedule from a leaflet, make it a little smaller, and put a nice background picture on it, in order to print it and fit it inside book I am studying.

Would this involve "clip art"? Tried to work my brain around it....

Would I.....make a text box.??...no...no use. Need help, please :8}

May not get back on line (myself) until after 9.30 p.m, but will appreciate help. PJ may reply ....and confuse matter totally, the dear man B-) (Just kidding....he is a mass of intelligence and humility, as everyone knows....so he tells me) :D
Maryann

Peter
16-03-2004, 06:20 PM
To me it sounds like you wish to create a water-mark beneath some text?

I think it can be done by creating a 'Header' or 'Footer', although the text-box idea sounds promising.

Peter.

godfather
16-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Use Word

Select the image you want as a background and either copy and paste it it or Insert - Picture
Right click the image once its in the Word page and select Format Picture

Select Layout
Select Behind Text
Select Advanced
Untick "Move object with Text"
OK
OK
Drag the corners of the image to size it and locate it.

Now just type over the top.
Select a font colour apprpriate so it is readable.

Please avoid using a photo of PJ for the image.
Someone else may open the book by accident and have an accident?

godfather
16-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Also under format picture is an option to set it as a watermark or washout, which will reduce the visibility of the background.

stu140103
16-03-2004, 06:42 PM
> Please avoid using a photo of PJ for the
> image.
> Someone else may open the book by accident and have
> an accident?

hehe :D :D

Susan B
16-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Maryann, Godfather has detailed one way of doing what you want but I would be interested to know what program you were planning to do the job in.

If you are using Publisher then it would be very easy to do and yes, the background picture would be clipart with a text box on top set to "no fill" so that the picture showed through. You would probably have to either choose a very light coloured picture or change your choice to a light colour so that the text can be clearly visible.

Godfather, you are mean... :p :D

Poppa John
16-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Susan B... Thankyou for your moral support. GF will keep, he will not go unscathed!!!!!

What was the computer training programme you advocated some months ago? Was it something to do with "HP" PJ

Maryann
16-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks godfather....also, if you saw one particular photo I took of PJ you would know that I'll follow your advice. On a secluded beach...well....say no more :O :O

SUSAN B...we don't seem to have Publisher. Do you mean Microsoft Publisher? Is it a "freeby"? We were going to use My Documents....XP Home. I don't want to have to TYPE the text over, but scan and copy a small list of dates and page numbers from a leaflet. Was sent 1 a few months ago and wondered how it was done, and now need to do another sheet.

Maryann.

godfather
16-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Publisher is not a freebee. Its actually quite expensive.

Word should be fine for what you want, and I know you have that program.

Re the secluded beach photo of PJ, hope you had a "wide angle lens" fitted to the camera ...

Maryann
16-03-2004, 11:20 PM
godfather :^O :^O PJ called from the bedroom, wondering why I am howling with laughter. He says "You'll keep". He is tucked up in bed with his "teddy bear"...a murder mystery, after disgracing himself (again) by "messing up" my 98 screen. I give him the privilege of using 98 and that's all the thanks I get. I may even let him KEEP 98!! ;\ ;\

Suggestions will be carried out tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Maryann.

Susan B
16-03-2004, 11:23 PM
> What was the computer training programme you advocated some months ago? Was it something to do with "HP"

Yes it was. They are still running and I meant to post in your "Lurning" thread but have been so busy lately I completely forgot about it. The site is here:
http://www.hplearningcenter.com/

Note that a lot of the courses require you to have the program (of course) but you can still do a course if you have an older program than what the course is supposed to be for. Some things may be a little different but otherwise you can still learn a lot. One of the courses running at the moment is building your first website which may interest you. Don't forget that you can sign up at any time that the course is running - you haven't missed out just because it has been going for a couple of week. Have fun. :-)

Maryann: As Godfather has already said, Publisher is not free, unfortunately but if you have Word you ought to be able to do what you want in that. Remember though, that when you scan your document to scan it as a picture and insert it into Word as a picture file. Be warned that it will make a large file though.

If you need more help/advice, just sing out. :-)

Susan B
16-03-2004, 11:24 PM
> He is tucked up in bed with his "teddy bear"...a murder mystery

What about his Horlicks? :p :D