PDA

View Full Version : Comp keeps restarting!

MrMike
16-03-2004, 04:01 PM
running XP home

My computer currently loads upto a point, then just restarts. This then brings up a menu asking if i want to restart normally or safe mode. Each way brings the same problem, a blue screen flashes (too fast for me to read) then the computer restarts, so i'm assuming a start up file has corrupted.

Now the real problem, my XP cd has disappeared much to my dismay. The one CD i always keep in a safe place seems to have gone and after a thorough search i don't hold up much hope of it returning.

So, first of all.

-Does it sound like a problem that would be fixed by simply doing a fresh reinstall of windows?

-If i got hold of another XP home cd, are they individually serialized or will i be able to use my current serial number (presuming it will prompt me if the XP home is already installed)?

- If i have to buy another CD anyway.. can i upgrade to XP Pro and then just install this overtop (without disrupting anything i have saved on there)?

I realise this might be a little confusing, so if anything needs clearing up i'll be on as often as possible to do so. Main thing is getting my comp back and running as soon as possible!!!

Thanx!

Jen C
16-03-2004, 04:13 PM
What happens if you select step-by-step confirmation as a boot up option. You may be able to see at what point things go pear-shaped and you could try by-passing the offending file (may or may not work)

> -If i got hold of another XP home cd, are they
> individually serialized or will i be able to use my
> current serial number (presuming it will prompt me if
> the XP home is already installed)?

Not sure.

> - If i have to buy another CD anyway.. can i upgrade
> to XP Pro and then just install this overtop (without
> disrupting anything i have saved on there)?

You cannot upgrade to XP Pro from XP Home. You will need to buy a full version XP Pro OS.

Did you make any hardware changes or software addtions/removing prior to this happening?

MrMike
16-03-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm not quite sure how to get to step-by-step confirmation of start up.. so haven't tried this yet. How do i go about this?

I hadn't made any software/hardware changes before this happened, but about 2+ months ago i did have a problem with a profile corrupting, which i simply created a new profile and just kind of ignored the old profile (i didn't use it but still needed information from the actual profile database).

I had anticipated needing to buy XP Pro. If i installed this overtop would i lose everything i had on there previously?

Jen C
16-03-2004, 04:56 PM
> I'm not quite sure how to get to step-by-step confirmation of start up.. so haven't tried this yet. How do i go about this?

Oops - very sorry, wrong information for your OS :8} (XP actually doesn't have this option)

>I had anticipated needing to buy XP Pro. If i installed this overtop would i lose everything i had on there previously?

I would wait and see whether you can use someone else's XP Home disk to try a repair on your system (you will need one that has SP1 included if your OS included that originally). Another option is to give Microsoft NZ branch a call and see whether you can get a replacement CD (costs involved plus proof of ownership required).

Susan B
16-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Go to System Properties (Win Key + Pause) > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings and under System Failure ensure that just the top two options are ticked. That should give you an error message indicating why your computer is restarting.

Tell us the entire message and we may be able to assist further.

MrMike
16-03-2004, 05:05 PM
I've tried getting another XP home cd from friends/family, and it seems most ppl that buy pre-packaged computers don't actually come with the windows CD.. unlucky for me i guess.. :(

I'll try Microsoft and see what they say.

XP usually boots from CD, is there anyway to get it to boot from disk so i could get to dos at least? i know how to change bios settings so that it boots from disk, but finding an XP boot disk seems to be a problem as well (i've tried the microsoft website and can only find disks for installing cd drivers to boot from cd.. ) not really sure if this would help me but perhaps i could run some diagnostics and just check there isn't something further that is the problem.

MrBeef
16-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Susan B, it sounds like he cant even get into windows, so i believe that that will not work...:)

MrMike
16-03-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm not actually able to get into windows, so i'm not sure the win/pause key would work?.. or can i access it somewhere else?

if i start in safe mode, it gets to Mup.sys where it pauses for about 10 seconds then restarts.. if that's of any help?

Jen C
16-03-2004, 05:17 PM
> if i start in safe mode, it gets to Mup.sys where it
> pauses for about 10 seconds then restarts.. if that's
> of any help?

Yes, that is helpful to know. Mup.sys is like the pandora's box of solving bootup issues. There have been other posts here on PF1 involving mup.sys. There is a long thread on this here (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1047532372) that you might like to look at. One recurring theme on that thread was RAM issues and USB devices like keyboards and mice. Unfortunately you will notice on that thread that no one solution fixed it, and what worked for some, did not for others.

Susan B
16-03-2004, 05:31 PM
> Susan B, it sounds like he cant even get into windows, so i believe that that will not work...

Sorry, I didn't read it properly. :8}

MrMike
16-03-2004, 05:35 PM
hehe.. that's ok.. ;)

seems like i'm going to spend the rest of the night reading/trialling ideas from this other site.

back to my boot disk question, i dl disks from the MS site but these disks set up the CDrom so that i could then use that to boot/install XP home. Is there anyway i can get to DOS from a boot disk, where i have access to my hdd and not just the disk that's in the drive?

Graham L
16-03-2004, 05:41 PM
If you've got a DOS prompt, try dir C:. If that looks good, try C: . ("Enter" after the command ;-)). But NTFS will probably stop this working. :D

Megaman
16-03-2004, 05:45 PM
www.bootdisk.com

MrMike
16-03-2004, 05:47 PM
what options do i have for getting to DOS prompt?

i only have a win98 boot disk, which isn't really going to help. XP boot disks that i dl from the site don't have any options which get me DOS prompt either as far as i've explored..

I seem to recall once upon a time, there were certain keys u could hold down which would take you to DOS, but not sure what they are, or if they still exist? I realise this doesn't load drivers or anything, but i think it would be a step in the right direction. .;)

MrMike
17-03-2004, 04:38 PM
what is the ACPI setting? and how do u change it?

this problem is driving me nuts, as i've removed my USB2 card, and disabled it.. tried moving RAM around, and as many other possibilities as i could think about....

has anyone else here had the mup.sys problem?

drcspy
18-03-2004, 11:18 AM
I just skimmed the posts so not sure if someone has suggested this but how about trying 'last known good configuration'.......that'll tell you if you try it and you cant get to windows that it'll be a hardware or bios setting.....

to get to 'last known good.....' tap F8 key repeatedly right from when you first turn on the puter ......that'll bring you to a menu screen from which you can choose using your arrow keys and the enter key..