PDA

View Full Version : Can I span across CDs ?

John W
16-03-2004, 03:35 PM
I have approx 3Gb of files to copy onto CD, is it possible to use Nero or similiar to achieve something like Winzip to span across CDs instead of counting the files individually to the 680Mb capacity of the disk. DVD copy is not an option.

Or any ideas how I can make this task easier.

Thanks.............. John

somebody
16-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Simple answer - yes - you can span across multiple CDs - just put 680mb of files onto one, the next 680 onto another and so on.

John W
16-03-2004, 04:42 PM
So I take it I cant group the 3Gb and get Nero to write to them by sitting back and feeding in the CDs...

somebody
16-03-2004, 04:59 PM
You might be able to - but I've never done it before. Someone else might be able to help you there.

agent_24
16-03-2004, 05:47 PM
okay, if you dont mind waiting a while, for 3 gigs to get processed, you can get winzip, or winrar to put all the selected files (the 3gb's you want copied) into an archive, but specify that you want it spanned into 680mb parts. then burn each part onto a CD. if you want it to go faster (no compression, which takes time), choose "no compression" (if using winzip) or "store" if using Winrar. i dont think nero can do that for you. the other option is just counting the files individually...

Mike
16-03-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that Winzip can't do it - spanning in Winzip I think requires it to go straight onto floppy disks.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2004, 07:52 PM
WinZip can do that.

Make the Zip with all the files in it, then Split it :-) There should be an option up the top with all the Icons, if not its in one of the Menu's down the bottom of the list IIRC.

You can specify what size you want each to be also, be it 1.38MB for a floppy, or 700MB for a CD-R.

Grab the latest WinZip (9) while you're at it. It has a few extra options in this area apparently, as well as an option called "Enhanced Deflate". Not sure quite what that does though :p

Chill.

drcspy
16-03-2004, 08:44 PM
I have a great little free program which will split any file to virtually any size you want then...........after you've split the files you can write em to cd/floppy whatever............then when you want to 'rebuild' the file you just copy ALL the split bits into one folder and double clik the little batch file it also creates then it'll reassemble them.......very handy

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/

kevinL
16-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Try the program at this site. It wil span CDs and uses Zip format.
http://www.zipbackup.com

Dak2
16-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Search for a prog called Burnquick, works very very good and is dead simple.

tweak\'e
16-03-2004, 09:38 PM
one thing to remember is if spliting or compressing data if a cd is partly damaged you may lose all the data. winzip/winrar normally have recovery optoins, it means the files size will be bigger but you may be able to recover more data should the file get damaged.

John W
16-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Unfortunatly all your advice came too late, at 7pm I headed off downstairs to transfer the data onto CDs. Used an installed program - Prassi Premo which gave me a graphical view of how much was being loaded onto CD, while I waited for the copying I carried out a few other tasks in the garage, coming back to the PC from time to time.

Looked over the replies, havce downloaded File Splitter, will keep for future use, could have used it tonight, never mind, opertunity will come again.

Thanks again John W in Mosgiel.