PDA

View Full Version : drivers for fedora core?

jupi8
16-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi there,
I am currently looking for drivers for my new modem, and there seem to be non for the fedora core. Can a version of red hats drivers be used? I am running fedora core 1, and have just bought a new modem that says it is compatible with linux and has drivers for a few differant versions of red hat and suse.
Really keen to get it up and running.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Graham L
16-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Try the RedHat one. It might work. If it doesn't, get the source version, and compile that. It's not a major operation.

jupi8
16-03-2004, 06:38 PM
How do I actually install downloaded drivers in tgf format in linux do I have to do it using shell commands?

Jen C
16-03-2004, 07:49 PM
You mean .tgz packages? These are normally for the Slackware distro's although they can be used on Fedora (not as first choice). Could you not find a RPM or the source files for your modem driver? What is the modem?

As Graham has already mentioned, compiling the driver from source will be an easy way of doing this. You will need to have your Fedora kernel source installed though which can be done via redhat-config-packages (Package Management [Add/Remove Applications]).

jupi8
16-03-2004, 10:19 PM
The modem is a DSE jobbie (internal pci 56k host accelerated modem(HaM) with intel chipset. Im new at this linux stuff so just want to get up and running so I can play around. How do I go about compiling the driver from source?

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2004, 10:58 PM
You'll need to install all the devel (See Development) tools related to the kernel.
Run:
redhat-config-packages

You'll need your Fedora CD's handy.

Download ScanModem from:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

Then open a terminal and run:
gunzip scanModem.gz
sh scanModem
Then copy/paste the contents of the first File into here.

Im pretty sure that modem is a WinModem (Read: Not good news - but not difficult to overcome).

Hope this helps

Chill.

Jen C
16-03-2004, 11:02 PM
This your modem? here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1154)

OK, the source for your modem needs to be downloaded from here (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/6497/eng/Intel536ep-462.tgz). It is possible this is same one you already download, but check the package name as this one is the source => INTEL-536EP-462.TGZ. Save it somewhere in your home directory /home/jup18/. Then go to that directory and right-click > Open terminal window. Enter in:

tar -xzvf intel536ep-462.tgz

This will uncompress the file and you will see a new folder appear called Intel536ep-462. In here will be the source files plus a README.txt. Have a look at this.

Now before you can compile the driver you need your Fedora kernel source installed. From your desktop right-click and select Open Terminal Window. Enter in: redhat-config-packages. Enter in your root password and then scroll down to Development > Kernel Development. Put a tick beside Kernel Development and then click on the Update button at the bottom. You will be asked to put in a Fedora installation CD (no. 3 I think) and the kernel source will be installed.

Now go back into the Intel536ep-462 folder and right-click > Open Terminal window. Enter in su enter, then your root password.

Now type:
make clean [enter]

then at the next root prompt enter:
make 536ep

At next root prompt enter:
make install

That should compile and then install the driver for you.

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Well..... it looks like you wont be needing scanModem :p

Nice work Jen :-)

mikebartnz
17-03-2004, 01:12 AM
It's a Ham modem which is only half Linux compatable.

jupi8
17-03-2004, 08:20 AM
wow, thanx guys
looks like I will be busy today.
Will get back to you on how it works out.
That is my exact modem.

jupi8
17-03-2004, 02:08 PM
hi Jen hoping you could help me again?
I have followed your instructions and all was good until I was prompted to insert disk 2 when trying to install fedora kernal source. I have tried all three of the disks that were givin to me by the Linuxshop.co.nz, have I been ripped? are there more? I read somewhere fedora core consisted of like 6 disks.

Jen C
17-03-2004, 02:47 PM
I think redhat-config-packages is a bit confused with its database and cannot find packages sometimes in FC1 (read about this happening).

So, you will just need to manually copy and install the source from the CD yourself. Put in disk 3 and browse into the Fedora/RPMS folder. Look for the file called kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.i386.rpm. Right click on this and copy it into your home directory. To install it with the graphical RPM program, just double-click on it and follow any prompts. If you wish to install it via the command line instead, open up a Terminal window in the directory the RPM is saved and enter su then root's password. Now enter in (everything is case sensitive):

rpm -Uvh kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.i386.rpm [enter]

Small tip: you can have the Terminal window/console etc auto-complete file names for you. After entering in rpm -Uvh ker hit the tab button and the rest of the file name will be completed for you.

>I read somewhere fedora core consisted of like 6 disks.
Fedora Core 1 consists of 3 standard precompiled rpm disks, there is however an additional 3 disks which are all source-rpms (but you don't need these).

I also have Fedora Core 2 test 1 running on one of my machines, and that was a 4 disk set so it will be interesting if the final stable release Core 2 becomes a 4 CD distro.

jupi8
17-03-2004, 03:36 PM
I copied and run the graphical installation of the kernal-source and after about a minute of installing prompted me to insert a disc, I canceled and now when I click on the kernel RPM it says it is already installed, so I assume it is.
Everything else installed fine I think.
When I go to set up my connection though it still does not detect my modem. Have I done something wrong? Do I need to manully activate my modem somehow?

Jen C
17-03-2004, 04:22 PM
>the kernel RPM it says it is already installed, so I assume it is.

Just to make sure of this, open up a terminal window and enter: rpm -qa kernel-source
This should return you the file name and version of the kernel source if it is installed.

The installation of the driver is done as root, and it says in the readme that root is the owner of the scripts so you need to be root when setting up/using the modem to dialup (this can be changed later with permissions so you can access the modem from your account). So login as root first and see whether you can setup the modem from that account.

I haven't had to configure a internal dialup modem for Linux, so I won't be much more help from this point on if the modem still does not work, sorry. We will need to call in the Linux modem guru's for this. If you get to this point, I suggest you post the contents of the readme file here as it contains some trouble-shooting procedures which will help others to help you. :)