PDA

View Full Version : Linux : Whats the easiesttttttttttttttt one to install

Term_X
16-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi folkz :-)

Id like to try Linux and i dont really know much about it and so would like to get one that i dont have to do much eg install off the cd etc.. and dont have to touch the hard drive

Ive read the reviews about Xandros which i think is a OS you have to pay for and the feedback suggests that this is the one for me to try.

Ive also read the reviews about Knoppix which is also supposed to be easy to install and is free.

So which one should i get? or if theres any even easier one to get can you please suggest that also

Cheers ;-)

Term X

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Well, no matter what you'll end up re-partitioning your hard-drive (Its too much work installing Linux on a Windows File-system, and the performance hit is noticable :-().

If you can free up some un-partitioned space, or have a 4+ GB HDD you could use for the cause, then Ark Linux is about the simplest install Ive come across.

Pick what type of install you want (Entire system, free space only.. or one other option),
Pick your Language/time-zone
Play Tetris for the next 15 minutes

Thats it.... All there is to it :-)

Knoppix is a Live from CD Disto, that runs in RAM. Its not ideal for long-term use, and isnt quite as n00b friendly for "doing things" with if you really want to try Linux.

I hope this helps

Chill.

ilikelinux
16-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Well.........................
Since Chill didnt suggest it, i will.

Ark linux, i was amazed when i installed it on my brothers computer, because when it is inmstalling you can play tetris ?-|

rmcb
16-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Ark rocks!!!

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2004, 03:44 PM
....But I did?

flyer590
16-03-2004, 03:52 PM
I recommend LindowsOS as the easiest Linux distribution to install. It costs, like Xandros, but I feel the price is worth it. The installer asks about four questions then installs to the hard drive in ten minutes. Only setback is it doesn't have a partitioner so your drive will need to be blank or pre-partitioned. You can find out more at Lindows.com (http://www.lindows.com).

Dolby Digital
16-03-2004, 04:46 PM
You can quite a few "Live CD" distro's now. Knoppix is a good one and if you get the latest version 3.3, you can install it to your hard drive if you want to (3.2 wouldn't without standing over it with a stick).

My vote is for Mandrake. It is generally accepted as a pretty easy install.

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2004, 05:14 PM
If we're going for "easy" to install, then yeah, Mandrake, Fedora.... Lycoris.. JAMD (Which has now changed to Auro Linux IIRC), and many others are "pretty easy" to install.

Ive not done Lindows (Who are still facing issues with Microsoft), but can speak from experience on Ark :-)

Ark is the same as Lindows, in that it doesnt yet have an Advanced installation option which will let you partition. That must be done before-hand.

Chill.

Term_X
16-03-2004, 11:54 PM
thank you all for the information!! now i just have to decide which one i wanna try first

Cheers

Term X