PDA

View Full Version : Nikon View

Goodison
15-03-2004, 05:41 PM
A friend recently purchased a Nikon 3100 digicam but was unable to load the 'Nikon View' software on her PC. She was eventually told all software on her PC would need to be removed and reinstalled and that it would be more cost effective to install a new OS, Windows XP, which she did at a cost of $200 plus, and 'Nikon View' was then able to be loaded successfully.

An identical situation has now occurred with my sister while on holiday in NZ. 'Nikon View' loaded successfully on my rather ancient PC but on returning to the UK she was unable to load it on her own PC.

Is it really necessary to go to all this trouble and cost just to load some basic software such as 'Nikon View'?

All PC's referred to above were running WIN98.

Help please!

Goodison

godfather
15-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Looking on the Niikon page suggests the minimum version is Windows 98SE, so basic Windows 98 may not support it?

However there are so many variables that are unknown, such as the patches that have been applied, hardware limitations etc its a bit difficult to know.

Graham L
16-03-2004, 02:19 PM
"Is it really necessary..."?

It shouldn't be. :_| But you are expected to have the latest, biggest, bestest of everything. You're a consumer. Consume, damn you. ;-)

I'd be inclined to get a USB "card reader" which will take the removable memory card the camera uses. And not bother about Nikon's software. I'd also tell Nikon they've got an unhappy customer.

bmason
17-03-2004, 12:19 AM
> I'd be inclined to get a USB "card reader" which will
> take the removable memory card the camera uses. And
> not bother about Nikon's software. I'd also tell
> Nikon they've got an unhappy customer.

Theres no need for a separate card reader, the camera shows up as a mass storage device so the images can be copied directly off the camera.

Although the nikon software is actually very good. They've managed to make something that is useful, functional (only thing missing is lossless JPEG rotation), and easy to use (without resorting to animated dogs or locking you into a wizard).

Getting back on topic...
You might be able to find a Win98 to 98se upgrade disk on trademe of something. MS used to sell them for $20.

Graham L
17-03-2004, 12:52 PM
I doubt that it will show as a disk with W98. :D Not without loading the Nikon software. Which won't. :_|