PDA

View Full Version : Adsl fails to connect unless LAN disabled

Bryanm
15-03-2004, 05:20 PM
I have a cheap Itex internal adsl modem, and i recently installed some wireless network cards in my pc and my flat mates pc both running windows xp pro, to share our adsl connection.

In my network connections screen, i have the dial up connection to connect the adsl, and two local area network connections, one for my wired network card and one for the wireless network card.

The sharing is working perfectly, the problem comes if i reset my computer. When i do this and all connections are enabled in the network connections screen, the adsl diagnostic program will fail to handshake with the phone line allowing the adsl connection to establish. BUT, if i disable my wireless network card, and my wired network card in the network connections screen, the adsl connects flawlessly, i can then enable them again and all goes perfectly in tandom.

So really what i'd like to know is if anyone can suggest a way around having to disable my LAN connections everytime i want to connect to the internet, then enabling them again, or if anyone can explain why this happens?

Any help will be very much appreciated :)

Bryan Moffat

Murray P
16-03-2004, 12:34 AM
I take it you have MS ICS enabled and that this has set all your IP's ok so there are no conflicts and the modem (your machine) is set as the gateway (I have never used it but believe it is wizard based in XP).

Another thought is a conflict between your cards or adsl modem, check out device manager (control panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager. Yours could be slightly different to mine) and look for disabled items (red) or conflicting items (yellow).

A useful site can be found here (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/contact.htm) and some info here (http://www.techtutorials.com/Networking/Data_Communications/).

PCI adsl (and usb) modems can be a bit of a pain sometimes and adding another card into the mix can add to the potential for trouble, see how you get on with the above and come back.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
16-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Why are you making "connections" through the Ethernet and wireless cards? You don't need to log in to your flatmate's computer do you?

Murray P
16-03-2004, 06:45 PM
> Why are you making "connections" through the Ethernet
> and wireless cards? You don't need to log in to your
> flatmate's computer do you?

No but, doesn't the flatmate need the gateway to be up and running and connect to that via the ethernet or WiFi?

The layout should be: WAN <---> PCI adsl (gateway) ----> Host computer -----> ehternet (or wiFi) card ----> Flatmate's computer. Easier would be an external modem/router with a WiFi gateway or a switch to cat5 and drop ICS. Can ICS handle the two diff types of cards?? AFAIK PCI adsl don't do routing, does that matter??

Cheers Murray P

Bryanm
17-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Ok a few developments, basically i am running ICS, it is just for my flatmate to use the internet on his computer.

Device manager says there are no conflicts at all, yet the pci adsl modem and the wifi card both seem to share irq 11 when i check their resources, but i wasn't using the ethernet yesterday so i left it disabled, then when i reset the computer tonight, it all connected fine no problems on boot, with the ethernet card disabled. but the ethernet card is not one of the cards sharing an irq, its on 5, so i'm a bit puzzled.

I use both wifi and ethernet in my flat sometimes because my flatmate is using the internet on the wifi connection, and i sometimes plug in my girl friends laptop through the ethernet so she can use it while i'm busy on my computer, its working so far :)

Murray P
18-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Keep us up with developments.

Cheers Murray P