PDA

View Full Version : Linux Internet Connection gets slower and slower

Caesius
14-03-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm running RedHat 9 and using KPPP to access the internet. My modem is a softmodem with an MD5628D-L-C chipset (a DSE one).

I can connect to and even browse the internet...for a while. After a few minutes the connection drops to zero and stays between there and 0.1 for the rest of my online journey (which of course comes to an abrupt end). It is very noticible with downloads, they start at an excellent speed, 4.7kb/s or even more! But as time progresses they become slower and slower. I'm wondering if there are any settings I need to change.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Ben

JohnD
14-03-2004, 11:05 PM
I also use RH9 and kppp - but with no special settings! I would suggest it is the internet connection - which ISP are you with?

Caesius
14-03-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm with xtra, but I don't think that's the problem, I've used the same connection on a Windows machine for years with no trouble.

JohnD
14-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Might be the modem?? I played it safe by purchasing an external serial port model. Haven't any experience in sorting that one out.

mikebartnz
14-03-2004, 11:38 PM
I have noticed with Linux that it is a bit fussier when it comes to the phone line itself even though I have an external modem. Was stopping elswhere recently and found that Linux would not connect. Occasionaly within Windows I was connecting at 4.8 at this place unlike my usual 49.2 or greater.