PDA

View Full Version : OT Edumication/Lurning !!

Poppa John
14-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Winter is acoming & I wondered if I should use the Dark Time to edumicate myself. Had a look at Google NZ for Open Poytechnic/University but they charge like a wounded bull. Anybody know of a free source of education/courses. Computer Knowledge springs to mind !!!!! Something not too difficult for this old & tired brain. I am still very handsome & wonderful tho', & modest with it as well!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ :D :D :8}

metla
14-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Im pretty sure there is free computer classes run quite often in Wanganui,They advertise in the midweek and elsewhere.Probally run out of ucol.

Probally a bit too basic though,I would imagine being taught what a web browser is and how to look up "cats" would be difficult to sit though.

Poppa John
14-03-2004, 10:44 PM
metla. Your'e right, forgot about Ucol Wanganui. PJ

beetle
14-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Well actually they do not run class's as such its sorta like free time on the puter, you do what you want, and if you need help you get someone sitting next to you or the person on duty to help....

i have been, and i found it a waste of time as i didnt learn any more, as i feel i learn more off PF1, than UCOL.

but for some people its good, who dont have access to a puter.
or the net.

its free, but you have to book a time to go, and you only get to go in hour slots i think....cant remember......they give you a basic puter guide type book.

but you would be way above that knowledge wise PJ.

beetle

Maryann
14-03-2004, 11:11 PM
beetle....

Friend made same comments re UCOL ....she felt it was a waste of time
and then went to Seniornet. PJ actually wants to do a course, or something like that, over the Internet. Easier re health and convenience.
The silly (lovely) old "Toyota" wouldn't hear most of what was said anyway.......hardly any hearing left. Struth....what a "cot case"!! :^O

beetle
14-03-2004, 11:15 PM
LOL

well you are never too old to learn are you,

all the best then hope you find something you like to do.

keep us posted if you like and tell us what you find, others may be interested.

you may even teach us a thing or two then...:D

beetle

Laura
15-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Do you know about U3A?
(University of the Third Age)

It's designed for retired & semi=retired people who want to keep on learning, so sounds like your cup of tea?

Each group organises its own courses, so the subjects available vary widely around NZ (Dunedin's has close links with the university, so has a fantastic range: most so popular they have to ballot for places)

They run for a term (6=8 weeks) & most here cost $40, though more if the course involves out of town bus trips.

Put U3A nz into Google & you'll see how extensive it's become over recent years - and also give you the Wanganui contact for info on what they're doing for winter.