PDA

View Full Version : Help required – how to get my IP address remotely if reconnecting to ISP??

PressF1 User
14-03-2004, 09:41 PM
I now have software that allows me to remotely access my home computer from work, complete with desktop sharing and two way file transfer, etc. However, if my home computer is disconnected and it then reconnects successfully automatically (presuming the redial option works - in dialup properties for my DSL connection), how can I then know what my new IP address when it has reconnected to my ISP?? (its dynamic)
So here’s what I was wanting – is there a program that will somehow ‘broadcast’ or send by email my new IP address when it has reconnected to my ISP?? Any help would be very much appreciated :-)

Lohsing
14-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Go to No-IP (http://www.no-ip.com).

Nice little proggy for those dynamic IP connections!

Lo.

PressF1 User
14-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Yes I have used a similar IP program before for web redirrection - but this would not work for what I am wanting to do because I am running a file transfer / remote desktop program.

PoWa
14-03-2004, 10:55 PM
You could send your home computer an email from the remote computer.

Then when your home comp recieves the email set it to bounce-off an 'away message' back to you which should include the IP address in it. Then if your email program is good, you can analyse the email headers etc to find the originating source of the email.

Lohsing
14-03-2004, 11:07 PM
> Yes I have used a similar IP program before for web
> redirrection - but this would not work for what I am
> wanting to do because I am running a file transfer /
> remote desktop program.

I use No-IP strictly for FTP purposes and it serves me fine?

Lo.