PDA

View Full Version : Telstraclear cable 2Mbs

TonyF
14-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Telstraclear 2Mbs prices look quite interesting. Looks to cost about the same as Telecom 256K.

Anyone there yet ?

jackyht
14-03-2004, 11:17 PM
but it is applied to wellington anyway.. damn.. Auckland can't have this wonderful package...

oh btw.. u know on those package, it does required a router hire? how come? y can't we just our own router???

Jacky

segfault
14-03-2004, 11:43 PM
> oh btw.. u know on those package, it does required a
> router hire? how come? y can't we just our own
> router???

Because Telstra make money from hiring out the cable modems. :)

Murray P
14-03-2004, 11:58 PM
They certainly do. Their original excuse was to keep control of the hardware due to fiddlers potentially compromising their network. But it needs the right knowledge, firmware and probably a hack in to their system to get at the modems. All possible I guess which makes their argument moot. They say they may change their mind but I've heard it is too much of a money spinner for them to let go easily.

And they are just modems BTW. They don't route.

I'm waiting for a reply from Paradise/Telstra, re installation cost as I already have the cable (for tv), just need the modem hooked up. If they're nice, I may well go for it despite my misgivings re the modem rental + needing to get a router.

Cheers Murray P

TonyF
15-03-2004, 08:22 PM
> I'm waiting for a reply from Paradise/Telstra, re
> installation cost as I already have the cable (for
> tv), just need the modem hooked up.
Hello Murray. Telstra say no installation costs if sign up for 24 months. I see that Xtra have just cut $99 off their deal. Ah, competition !!
Keep us posted on what you find out.

Cheers T

Murray P
16-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Not sure I want to be locked in for 2 years the loops might unravel by then besides, I reckon I've already paid most of the fees with the original. No sign of a reply, yet.

Cheers Murray P

TonyF
16-03-2004, 06:03 PM
> Not sure I want to be locked in for 2 years the loops
> might unravel by then
And that is the great unknown. What to do ??
Right now, for a 1 Gig traffic setup on Paradise, Cable for 2Mbs is 39.95 p/m + modem 10.95. ADSL ( 256 K) is 20 (Paradise) + 29.95.

ADSL connection fee is $99 ( but not with Xtra !) plus router/filters say $250. Cable has no connection charge if signing up for 24 months.

No doubt someone will correct my figs, but cable looks interesting.

Cheers Tony

Murray P
16-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Got a reply from Paradise today Tony.

Installation for me will be reduced by 60% because I'm already wired.

This is what they said re modem purchase or supplying your own. Also would they introduce NAT/Routing capable modems (obviously they wouldn't be just modems then would they): Probably. I apologise for such a vague answer, but it's a bit hazy at the moment. We expect to allow this sometime soon, we're still testing things. I can't give any timeframe. We're unlikely to go out of our way to supply modems with routing and NAT functionality, as we provide the modem as a network access device, rather than networking device.

The last part re NAT is fair enough. It's definitely looking more promising on the rental vs purchase side. From my point of view it looks more than interesting now.

Fixed IP and they don't mind servers, another learning curve coming up, perhaps.

Cheers Murray P

Susan B
16-03-2004, 07:55 PM
> ADSL connection fee is $99 ( but not with Xtra !) plus router/filters say $250.

Other ISPs have free connection to ADSL for the next month as well as Xtra - I would be fairly certain that Paradise would as well.

TonyF
16-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Another complication - Telstraclear on their Web page now say that they will offer 2 Mbs ADSL later this year. The plot thickens....

Murray P
17-03-2004, 12:22 AM
You are sure that is not the September 2003 kind of later this year. There was talk on the forum last week that they hadn't updated the site fully.

Cheers Murray P

TonyF
17-03-2004, 09:25 AM
The page does say Sep 2003, but the implication is that they have some scheme being readied for 2 Mbs ADSL. Where might they be getting this from ?
Cheers T