PDA

View Full Version : Who builds the best computer system in Christchurch?

berniebee
14-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Ok we can extend it to New Zealand as long as they have good phone support (free phone number)

What company do you think in and around CHCH would have the best computer building service and after sales combined?

godfather
14-03-2004, 07:14 PM
This will rapidly develop into a "Holden vs Ford" saga I fear.

Trouble is, most people will recommend what they chose for themselves as being the best, as an exercise in convincing themselves (and others) that they really did well, irrespective of any other issues.

In truth, its a bit like a "which restaurant is best" when it depends what chefs were on that day, what was chosen from the menu and what the quality of the ingredients on the day were. Such things vary from day to day or week to week.

Choose companies that have been around a while, as dodgy service means a short life in the Industry.

The variables are:

Cheap price
Quality Product
High Performance

You can only ever have 2 out of the three.

Or, put another way, you get what you pay for.

I am sure that there are sufficient assemblers in Christchurch that would meet your need, in fact most would.

Over the years I have had 14 PC's and never yet needed after sales service. If you buy reasonable quality at the start then the need for hardware support is less. Computer hardware is generally so low cost now that its in the disposable category anyway?

If, by after sales you refer to software support however, then thats a whole new issue.

berniebee
14-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Interesting, I know you rate computer future, who else have you used to or would you use next to build for you?

ta

farmdude52
14-03-2004, 09:27 PM
hi i have found pcs unlimited very i got the parts for my recent upgrade there they were a resonable price and the staff were very helpfull with any after sale problems farmdude

godfather
14-03-2004, 10:03 PM
> Interesting, I know you rate computer future, who
> else have you used to or would you use next to build
> for you?

Most of the ones I have used have gone out of business over the years sadly. Some were very good as well. PC Works in St Asaph St comes to mind as perhaps the best but now no longer in business.

You simply cannot offer the quality and service without a cost, and as the new ultra low cost operators come in with minimal service, the higher price and quality ones hit the wall, followed by the low cost ones. But by then its too late. Hence my comment, if they have endured a few years now, they should be OK.

At the end of the day they all get the components from much the same place now. I would not give any long term recommendations above what I have said already. It varies depending on too many factors.

They are disposable items, and should be treated as such. Just how much after sales service can/should a person give on a $200 motherboard which can at times have only a 10% (or less) profit margin is the problem?

Several of my systems were "brand names" (HP etc) from Dick Smith or Noel Leeming. These have proven the most reliable over the years, all were still going with zero failures. Some have now been retired of course as they are obsolete.

hamstar
14-03-2004, 10:29 PM
YEAH HOLDEN!!!!!

:^O