PDA

View Full Version : no execution of .asp file name extension

snug
14-03-2004, 05:40 PM
I have an html file with links to .asp files on my pc. However when I click on the link Internet Explorer doesn't execute the file it simply pops up a download popup window ie Internet Explorer doesn't seem to recognise the extension type???

I have changed the filename extension type .asp to point to Internet Explorer but no change.

Help required and gratefully accepted :)

drcspy
15-03-2004, 08:51 AM
well when it's trying to 'download' .......if you clik 'open' instead of 'save' will it open the file you want ?

-=JM=-
15-03-2004, 09:00 AM
ASP (Active Server Pages) is a scripting language supported by Microsoft. It is a Server Side scripting language so that the server has to interpret it, not the clients browser. The most common server which supports ASP is IIS (Internet Information Services) which should ship with any decent Microsoft OS.

So you'll either have to run a server yourself and connect to it, or upload it to a webhost that supports ASP, http://www.brinkster.com are a good free asp host.

snug
15-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Thanks :D

I am just starting out trying to learn website programing - so maybe I've got a lot to learn ?