PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Dell

berniebee
14-03-2004, 11:31 AM
I am considering purchasing a DimensionTM 8300 Desktop, it can be seen on the dell.co.nz home page.
It looks quite well specked for approximate 2.5k

Would I be better to use a local shop (I am in Christchurch) to build me one or just go to Dell.

I have purchased for a local shop in the past and was not impressed when i had a couple of minor problems and there lack of after sales service.

Poppa John
14-03-2004, 11:34 AM
You could try Metla on this forum!!! PJ

oops,oops.

metla
14-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Personally,never.

This may be of interest.

http://165.193.123.52/articles/upgrade3_01_01.asp

metla
14-03-2004, 11:38 AM
I believe people should buy local to ensure they have access to the company who sold the machine.Im sure people here can recommend someone in Christchurch.

Megaman
14-03-2004, 11:51 AM
ooh. a fellow cantabrian :)

try one of teh shops on moorehouse ave if you want a local preson, but if you're not worried about that, get the dell

godfather
14-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I have had excellent service from Computer Future in Christchurch, and they have been in business a long time.

berniebee
14-03-2004, 02:17 PM
I have had shocking service form Computer future and would not use them again.

hamstar
14-03-2004, 05:24 PM
*hamstar shudders at the thought of department store pcs*

Are you joking. Don't you know that big company PC's like this suck!?

That link metla posted fully supports that statement. They're ****!

It's far better (and cheaper) to get one custom made at your local computer store, or if they're **** from previous experience, then give them the finger!

I bought my computer in bits from QMB in aucks (which I highly recommend - great shop) and built it myself. Way cheaper! I saved like $400-$800 by doing that than buying a compaq brick. If I had the time, they could have built it for me in an hour for $20!!! Consequently it took me and cold_fu5ion (went in with his dad and him to get our pc's - lucky he's gotta van) a day to build ours but it was fun.

Plus, Compaq, IBM and HP started TCPA!!! So if you buy from them, you're supporting capitalism, no competition in the computer market and THE END OF THE WORLD!!! (site (http://www.extremedevlopment.com/end))
And Dell are on the TCPA membership list. Actually a lot of companies are. But Don't buy Dell! They have more power than AMD or nVidia because they construct computers.

TCPA membership list (http://www.trustedcomputing.org/home/membership/)

Anyway, thats why I think you shouldn't buy dell.

I'm not crazy, honest!

hamstar
14-03-2004, 05:25 PM
and remeber Compaq Sucks (http://www.compaqsucks.com)

BIFF
14-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Dell are quite good actually despite the sometimes foul mouthed comments posted here. Their telephone support is a lot slower recently since being outsourced to India, but it's still OK. If you pay for the on site warrantee (not much and money well spent) they'll come out next day and replace any faulty parts on the spot. When you can buy a computer case and power supply for $120 nowadays the proprietry case argument is not really an issue any more. They still take standard peripherals, RAM, hard drives, PCI cards and AGP cards (as long as you don't buy a slim line one of course) so they are actually very close to fully standard.

Terry Porritt
14-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Just reinforcing Biff, there is nothing 'wrong" with any of the proprietary PC makes just as long as you are happy to use them as they are supplied, and not expect to be able to easily upgrade them. You must also be prepared to pay the extra cost of replacing something like a non-standard powersupply, or non-standard CD drive.

There are heaps of older Dells, IBMs, Compaqs, coming out of government departments like IRD as they upgrade, and onto the auction market. These PCs are still working perfectly ok.

beetle
14-03-2004, 06:05 PM
We are not you and you are not us, so what we think is not what a lot of people think by the looks of it.
and it may be what you need.....depending on the circumstances.

i do not own a Dell, but have used my friends one i and i think they are ok.

anything has limitations depending on what you need it to do.

serious gaming and you would be better making one up from scratch, but just for the home newb type person who doesnt need to push the limits of the machines will do fine,

what someone buys today will be outdated before it has left the shop anyway, so you are never going to be that one jump ahead.

buy what you feel is right for you and what you are most comfortable with, (peice of mind and peice of pocket helps).

i would buy a dell, probably, but the option to make one up (with lots of PF1 help) will be looked at before i make the decision either way.

best of luck

beetle

Laura
15-03-2004, 02:07 AM
berniebee:

Put Dell into Press Fi's Search (top of this page) for a post by Lucy on Feb 8 as an example of a satisfied customer.

Then check out other posts on the topic. You will find the spectrum ranges from those who want the reassurance of specific standards to Do-it-Yourselfers who think mass production was designed by the devil incarnate.

(In other words, more of the same that you've already heard)

It comes down to how much computer knowledge you have and how adventurous you're feeling..? You will get help here with problems, but not neccessarily the minute you want it

That peace of mind beetle mentioned does cost more when buying mass-produced. But because it's standard, lots more people know how to fix it.

(Personally, I'd love a customised computer. But I'm glad to have a standard old plodder to do my learning on first)

Laura
15-03-2004, 02:16 AM
Have just read the link provided by Metla.

Certainly, that's a worry.

Is the info still valid? I see it's dated 2002

metla
15-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Im unsure about whether or not Dell and others are still putting non-standard psu's in their machines.Even if they have stopped,four years of doing so would mean a fair few systems out there with the bogus psu.

I think if anything it highlights the staergy that dell takes with its market,and i pesonally don't like it,neither do people who have a dead psu who are then informed they need a new psu and motherboard.

I have one coming in this afternoon from that period with a dead psu,i can guess what the customers reaction will be.

indoorcricket
26-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I have had shocking service form Computer future and would not use them again.

Whys that? I have heard very good news about Computer Future in Christchurch... I would always recommend them to anyone wanting to purchase hardware. :D

Prescott
26-12-2004, 12:48 PM
oh c'mon is it really necessary to bump up an old thread? especially one that is about buying a dell, ony brings trouble around here

drb1
26-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Im unsure about whether or not Dell and others are still putting non-standard psu's in their machines.Even if they have stopped,four years of doing so would mean a fair few systems out there with the bogus psu.

I think if anything it highlights the staergy that dell takes with its market,and i pesonally don't like it,neither do people who have a dead psu who are then informed they need a new psu and motherboard.

I have one coming in this afternoon from that period with a dead psu,i can guess what the customers reaction will be.

Metla,

Played with some new ex demos and a couple of new servers.

They still see to be following this line as do HP/Copaqu, the advantage to dell over H/Ps, you can still butcher a std PSU into a dell.

Very hard to do to some Compac/hp with the direct connection to the board.

D.

tutaenui
26-12-2004, 04:54 PM
OK I know the techno snobs look down on Dell but I have had a seven year faultless run out of my Dell and when I decide to replace it (in about 3 years) I will prob buy another one.

drb1
26-12-2004, 05:25 PM
OK I know the techno snobs look down on Dell but I have had a seven year faultless run out of my Dell and when I decide to replace it (in about 3 years) I will prob buy another one.

DEll make GOOD servers, They also make some good laptops.

I would not advise anybody to buy dell new from the wharehouse or to buy new dell bottom line gear.

Which is what so many home users buy.

These users would often be better served buying used highergrade Dells EX Lease or Govt dept. at a more attractive price than the Wharehouse specialls.

If you want to put in aftermarket cards and upgrade and play, Dell is not the Machine for you.

If you want to put it on the desktop turn it on and off for severall years and replace it when it malfunctions.

A good commerciall Quality used dell is probably suitable for you.

And Much better value in the long term. Spend the extra money on that higher quality LCD screen and Higher quality printer. When you replace you malfunctioning box you will still have these highquality goods, in working order.

Small dell desktops -PSU failure.

Many many people buy small dell/HP-Compaqu desk tops or mini towers.

They then fit CD/DVD burners to them and wonder why the PSU fails.

These units have a minimum requirement PSU in them they ARE NOT specked to run burners.

To a lesser degree this also applys to IBM small units.

Tight Kiwis seem to have great difficulty coming to grips with this reality.

D.

memphis
27-12-2004, 12:40 AM
I go to www.dragonpc.co.nz they are in Chirstchurch and are very good I buy components from them and have had no worries.

I will continue to buy from them because of their advice and honesty even when it ment me not spending so much there and saving some money.Thats what I call service,which is lacking from so many shops now.Thats how you win loyal customers.

For $2500

CPU amd athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 $274.50 :D
" " " 3200+ " " $346.15

MB ga-k8nsnsxp nforce 3 ultra $328.06

RAM a-data 512mb ddr 400 $121.43 ( I would get 2 of these = dual channel )

SC audigy 2zs $183.77 :D

GPU albraton 6600 gt 128mb agp 8x $450 :D
sparkle " " " " " $448.88

HD seagate 200gb 8mb cache 7200rpm pata $198.76 or
" " " " " " sata $219.91

DVDRW double layer btc $178.88 (wow they sure are getting cheaper)

CRT 19" philips 109b65 real flat $424.88 or
samsung syncmaster 957df 19" crt $431.74

case antec sonata comes with good psu $325.34

=$2,488.50 if you go for the cheaper items I have done and only 1x512mb ddr

Can buy the items below cheap at dickssmith and get better latter,or buy from dragonpc.

keyboard you choose $_._

mouse " " $_._

floppy " " $_._

All include gst

Get it as a package deal and should get it cheaper!!

Talk to them their ph.no.,address are on their website.

ps I do not work for them or have any interest in them.

Just going the extra mile so you dont miss out on good deals,or get ripped off,waste money.

Hope it helps if not disregard and I will Have just wasted time.Oh well so whats new.

Vince
28-12-2004, 12:06 AM
I bought a Dell Dimension 4600i in April and have had no problems with it. I added a second HD and 2 RAM cards myself. All is A OK. Vince

hamstar
28-12-2004, 07:20 AM
rofl, look at my post on the first page :D

I was so paranoid back then... hehehe...

I still don't recommend buying a dell tho unless you are teh super-n00b....

JJJJJ
28-12-2004, 08:20 AM
There have been several very sensible replies to this poster , for a change.
I'll just add my :2cents: worth.
There is nothing wrong with any of the "name" brands. Dell or otherwise. After sales service is in the most part adequate and competant.
But, if you are going to change parts and modify it etc. you would be better served by a local shop. Generaly the "name brands" lose interest in you if you do modifications etc.
If you do decide to get a Dell than make absolutely sure you get exactly what you want.
Things like fire wire, card readers, blue tooth , Lans ,etc may sound good on the spec. list, but if you are not going to use them don't buy them.
One thing to remember. If you buy a "name brand" you are not going to get a retail version of windows. You will get the installed version, and probably a recovery version on a partition on your hard disk.
Not very helpful if you want to fit a new disk at a later date.

If you are a compulsive fiddler who likes to play around inside your box, then buy local.

If you are content to leave things as they are then but Dell.

From the voice of experience,
Jack :badpc:

Oggy
28-12-2004, 10:43 AM
As a Christchurch resident too ... here's my 5c worth.

I've been looking at buying a new PC for a year. I will probably buy a Dell online and what I want will probably cost me $2100 if I wait until their special offers line up with my needs.
A similar spec'd off the shelf machine will cost me about $2800 from a large (Moorehouse Ave) computer shop. If I want a customised PC from a smaller local place I'm still looking $2400 to $2800 depending on componants
If I took the $2100 my Dell would cost me and tried to get an off the shelf system from a small local supplier for that money, the specs won't be as good as the Dell although it may still meet my needs.
My decision swings on whether having local backup is worth the extra cost (or buying a lower spec'd machine for the same money as the Dell). If I was a tinkerer I'd probably go local. As I only ever take the cover off my PC to remove dust though, there's less chance of me screwing something up so I can just put it under my desk and forget it just as I have done with my 6 year old Gateway pc (bought online)

My answer is "Yes, I would buy a Dell (but not a Warehouse model)". Other people will say "No" for their own particular reasons and they will be just as right. I saw a quote once which probably applies well here. It goes "There is no right or wrong decision ... there are only consequences".

Baldy
28-12-2004, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=hamstar]*hamstar shudders at the thought of department store pcs*

Are you joking. Don't you know that big company PC's like this suck!?

That link metla posted fully supports that statement. They're ****!

Why are they, have you owned one or just repeating some nonsence someone else heard and told you?

I don't own one, but know people who do and they are very happy with them. Dell didn't get where they are by selling "sh*t" as you put it Hamstar.

Billy T
28-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm with Baldy on this one.

No purchasing officer ever got fired for buying IBM, Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway or any other mainstream commercial supplier. Their computers perform well and reliably for normal business users.

They do not claim to build computers suitable for use by geeks, gamers, tweakers, clockers and random fiddlers.

All the "anti" talk is just so much hot air, and unless those comments come from techs providing support on a daily basis to commercial machines, operating in a commercial environment, they have no real foundation. That is regardless of whether or not said commenters have encountered customers unhappy with the performance of their "commercial" machine or wanted to repair/upgrade it and were unable to accept the limitations inherent in machines not really intended for a consumer environment.

And before anybody screams the obvious, yes the mass manufacturers do build for, and market to, "ordinary" consumers, but they do not target the "PC savvy" market serious gamers or any other serious user. A few stray souls get caught in their marketing net, but that is not a reason to condemn all of their production out of hand.

There are bucketloads of satisfied users out there, the silent majority who keep going back to buy more of the same. Even BMC & Skoda found a ready market, and produced the occasional winner.

It's horses for courses you see, but dedicated PC-heads seem to have extreme difficulty accepting that concept. Nevertheless, they are all personal computers and remain worthy of consideration when matching budget and needs to the offerings of the marketplace.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

mejobloggs
28-12-2004, 06:59 PM
I think this is quite a good thread, thanks people!

They do not claim to build computers suitable for use by geeks, gamers, tweakers, clockers and random fiddlers.

Reading all so far, that seems to sum it all up.

Metla
28-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Therefor, A VW is as good as a BMW.

pffftttt.

Quality can be measured my simplistic buddies,and knowing no better does not make all products equal.

george12
28-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I go to www.dragonpc.co.nz they are in Chirstchurch and are very good I buy components from them and have had no worries.

I will continue to buy from them because of their advice and honesty even when it ment me not spending so much there and saving some money.Thats what I call service,which is lacking from so many shops now.Thats how you win loyal customers.

For $2500

CPU amd athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 $274.50 :D
" " " 3200+ " " $346.15

MB ga-k8nsnsxp nforce 3 ultra $328.06

RAM a-data 512mb ddr 400 $121.43 ( I would get 2 of these = dual channel )

SC audigy 2zs $183.77 :D

GPU albraton 6600 gt 128mb agp 8x $450 :D
sparkle " " " " " $448.88

HD seagate 200gb 8mb cache 7200rpm pata $198.76 or
" " " " " " sata $219.91

DVDRW double layer btc $178.88 (wow they sure are getting cheaper)

CRT 19" philips 109b65 real flat $424.88 or
samsung syncmaster 957df 19" crt $431.74

case antec sonata comes with good psu $325.34

=$2,488.50 if you go for the cheaper items I have done and only 1x512mb ddr

Can buy the items below cheap at dickssmith and get better latter,or buy from dragonpc.

keyboard you choose $_._

mouse " " $_._

floppy " " $_._

All include gst

Get it as a package deal and should get it cheaper!!

Talk to them their ph.no.,address are on their website.

ps I do not work for them or have any interest in them.

Just going the extra mile so you dont miss out on good deals,or get ripped off,waste money.

Hope it helps if not disregard and I will Have just wasted time.Oh well so whats new.

Seriously dude, they'd better have AMAZING service to warrent those exorbitant prices! That computer can easily be found for ~$1900, and that's with all the larger options and swapping the screen for a 17" LCD...

But the service does sound impressive if it makes you go back there because of it. At the end of the day, shop at the place that makes you happy.

Codex
28-12-2004, 11:52 PM
I am considering purchasing a DimensionTM 8300 Desktop, it can be seen on the dell.co.nz home page.
It looks quite well specked for approximate 2.5k

Would I be better to use a local shop (I am in Christchurch) to build me one or just go to Dell.

I have purchased for a local shop in the past and was not impressed when i had a couple of minor problems and there lack of after sales service.
simple question and simple answer: NO :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

JJJJJ
29-12-2004, 05:23 AM
[QUOTE=Metla]Therefor, A VW is as good as a BMW.

pffftttt.

Well they both do the same thing.Transport you from A to B. So you pay a lot more to travel in comfort and impress the neighbours.
That's why I drive a Mercedes and not a VW.
Jack

drb1
29-12-2004, 06:11 AM
[QUOTE=Metla]Therefor, A VW is as good as a BMW.

pffftttt.

Well they both do the same thing.Transport you from A to B. So you pay a lot more to travel in comfort and impress the neighbours.
That's why I drive a Mercedes and not a VW.
Jack

People forget that VW and Audi come out of the same box.

Bit like Pentium and Zenon.

Definately not Pentium and Celery.

D.

Prescott
29-12-2004, 09:12 AM
what are the dell laptops like guys? are they any good?

Billy T
29-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Therefor, A VW is as good as a BMW.

pffftttt.

Quality can be measured my simplistic buddies,and knowing no better does not make all products equal.

Eloquent as-ever my one-eyed friend. :illogical

Quality is inextricably entwined with budget and suitability for purpose, so assuming you are referring to an old aircooled VW and not the "apples for apples" comparison of a topline VW (http://www.newspress.com/nash04/04VWPhaeton.html) with an equivalent model from the BMW range, to those who cannot even afford to insure a BMW, much less buy one, the Volkswagon that suits their pocket and needs is indeed better than a BMW.

It will offer reliable low-cost motoring and match their budget and their transportation needs.

In the same way that a Warehouse Dell might match their computing budget and needs. :thumbs:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

P.S. Note the range of quality car manufacturers owned by Volkswagon.

Codex
29-12-2004, 12:07 PM
no

~sy~
29-12-2004, 12:14 PM
In a quick answer, yes I would buy a Dell. But definitely not at that price.

Metla
29-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Truth be told I am comparing comps in the same budget range,and for the same intended use.

From time to time I get people bringing in brand new "brand" name comps to be setup before they take them home, After seeing what they purchased and for how much I almost feel sorry they wasted their money.

Truley a shame, But i bite my tounge and set up their comp at their cost as it should have been supplied in the first place.

Then i sit back and marvel as it takes 3 minutes to boot into Windows,and struggles to run with its bottom of the scale hardware,and its OS bloated and chocking with parasite programs installed at the factory.....

george12
29-12-2004, 01:04 PM
I know what you mean metla, I really do.

From time to time I get PC Company computers in, by god it brings back ... bad memories.

They are literally held together with hot glue. Not a myth. One screw holding hard drive in. Blob of glue holding modem in. Proprietry 115W PSU. Two screws holding CD drive in, about half as many as should be for the mobo.

Hell, screws aren't that expensive!

Metla
29-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Hmmmm....The build quality on Supermarket brands are pretty good, All the ones i have opened up that were made in the last couple of years were beyond reproch as far as the build was concerned.....The tricks HP played attempting to build non-standard systems a couple years back were shocking though.

Power supplies on all these comps are always an issue,but tend to serve there time without too much fuss as long as no extra components are added.

PC company comps are in a class of there own though, But then again the build quality with them can vary wildely.

Truth be told some of the worst builds i have seen have been on other non-brand comps built by other various smallish outfits around NZ.

drb1
29-12-2004, 03:35 PM

YES,

Anybody who told you otherwise would probably say dell make bad/substandard servers which is patently untrue.

Even Metla will tell you this on a good day.

You must know wheather you want a desktop replacment or a true mobile laptop Reasearch and buy accordingly.

The d505 and its updates are a good example of a truly mobile machine 4hr battery(Working) and fast charge.

Down side the price ex dell new after the minimum upgrades to make the units viable is not good value for money.

Remember laptops are nowhere near as upgradeable as desktops, so the dell laptop does not suffer the same issues as the desktop. However the totally anti dell clan can not see this.

Ex lease or ex demo the can offer very good value for money and do not have the shorter life cycle of the toshiba and to some extent some of the no name brands.

D.

george12
29-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Dell laptops aren't bad.

And the battery life on them is great. My friend's one lasts around 7 hours constant use.

And they are very light and compact, and quite fast for the price too.

Desktops, well they are very cheap but I would never buy one, or recommend one. Actually I might, if the user was specificly looking for one they can just "pick, buy, plug in and use". Where they want it to be just like a television, and don't care about anything other than it working. And don't live in Wellington or Wanganui :p. Other brands are much more horrific than Dell.

Cheers George

Prescott
29-12-2004, 06:19 PM
yeah i am looking into a new laptop and was thinking dell, mostly due to their advertising camplaign on tv which caught my attention :p but im not to sure on the price of them, are they resonable for the spec's they have? i will probably get shot for asking this but what are those dell laptops like from the warehouse?

george12
29-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Don't let anyone shoot you Prescott.

I have seen one laptop there for a stunningly low price - about $120 cheaper than the cheapest I sell. But it was actually OK. It was $1399 I beleive, 2.6Ghz Celly D, 256MB Ram, 40GB HDD, 15" LCD. Not bad for the price.

No idea what they're like for warranty though.