PDA

View Full Version : Create Partitions NTFS & Fat32 without floppy

sc0ut
13-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Hi
I want to put Windows.Net Server and a distribution of Linux on my mini PC (like a laptop without the monitor or input devises) this is for my studies
Does anyone have any idea how I would pull this off?
Mind you i don't have a laptop floppy drive
ATM I just want to make the partitions so that I can put Red Hat on it and have a NFTS partition ready for .Net when Mr Microsoft gives me a student evaluation copy

ATM it has win2k on it
Any ideas or suggestions

i'm downloading Partition Magic 8.0 because i have a fealing it may work but will it need a bot disk?

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2004, 11:44 PM
I personally wouldnt bother making it NTFS then.

Make the first partition Fat32, whatever size you want .NET Server to use.

Then install Linux on the remaining space.

Then when you go to install .NET Server, tell it to delete the Fat32 Partition and format the Unpartitioned space with NTFS.

Just bear in mind that NTFS Support for Linux is read-only up until the 2.6 kernel unless you use the Captive-NTFS Project.
Fat32 might be the better option for Doze.

Also, bear in mind that when you install Doze AFTER Linux, It'll kill your MBR, so you'll need run rescue on Redhat to restore Grub.

Chill.

PoWa
13-03-2004, 11:50 PM
If you get the windows version of PM8 then that will work. It will ask you to reboot then make changes before windows starts.

sc0ut
14-03-2004, 12:04 AM
thanks guys
and i do want NTFS because it is the easyiest way to secure my Databases when i do my ASP (otherwise i used Fat32 you could type in "www.mysite.com/database/db.mdb" it would allow you to save it to your PC)

another question
could i have a 3rd partition that Linux and Windows could see and write to?

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Yes, Fat32.

I know you can use Explore2fs in Doze to read from Linux.

You can write to NTFS using the 2.6 kernel, so check and see, there should be a 2.6 kernel for Redhat XYZ by now!

Chill.