PDA

View Full Version : trying to install linux

miknz
13-03-2004, 09:50 PM
hey,

Can anyone tell if it is possible to install linux redhat 7.3 onto a drive without completely reformating it first? And if it is possible how do we do it?
Got the disks been trying for the last hour to set up a partition and cant get it to work, using disk druid

cheers

JohnD
13-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Can you please detail a bit more of what the problem is. You cannot resize partitions with disk druid but you can delete partitions then make new ones. Once the new ones are created, Redhat will format them as part of the install process.

JohnD
13-03-2004, 10:15 PM
The minimum number of partitions you will need are / (root) and swap. It is a good idea to create a separate /home partiton too.

miknz
13-03-2004, 10:20 PM
I have no partitions at the mo and am trying to install linux. I have win98se on a 40 gig drive, I dont want to reinstall windows, I want linux installed

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2004, 10:34 PM
You have two options:
Install it on a loopback fs (It appears as a file on your Windows Drive), or re-partition and shrink the size of one of your current drives.

There will be a fairly noticable performance decrease using a Loopback FS. I'd recommend getting a copy of Knoppix and re-partitioning

John>
Redhat usually do a /boot as opposed to /home.

Chill.

Elephant
13-03-2004, 10:41 PM
So you have at least one partition do you not? One 40 Gig drive with Win98SE on it?

Do you want to dual boot Win98SE and a version of Linux? If so what version of Linux?

Think about getting extra Partitions on the hard drive or getting another hard drive or both.

miknz
13-03-2004, 10:45 PM
I want to dual boot win98se
linux version is red hat 7.3

JohnD
13-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Chill - I quite often make a /boot but the main reason for it seems to have been in the days of the BIOS 1024 cylinder boot limitations. I think it is more important to have a /home to allow a complete reformat of the system partition (/) say for a clean upgrade while your data remains intact (like d: drive in windows!).

I must admit I like to manually partition to remain in complete control!

JohnD
13-03-2004, 10:53 PM
By the sound of it you have one partition filling the whole drive. The easiest way to deal with this is by using Partition Magic or similar. There was a free 2002 version of Paragon Partition Manager (or similar name) on a recent Australian PC Mag.

miknz
13-03-2004, 10:54 PM
I tried to manually partion but it wouldnt work. Is there any way I can do this without reformating drive, please reply in lay-mans terms.

cheers

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Take:
One Knoppix CD

Boot

Open a Konsole
Type:
sudo bash
export DISPLAY=0:0
qtparted

This will allow you to re-partition.

I should really make a knoppix remaster for this purpose....

Chill.

Graham L
14-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Do a "thorough" scandisk, then a defrag. (Boot to Safe Mode first ;-)). That moves all the files to the "botttom" of the disk, so partitioners can work.

Either ranish or parted will non-destructively do the splitting. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Partitioning very easily becomes destructive, and the most common cause is overconfidence. Nothing is so easy that it doesn't need instructions. :D

Just make an "unallocated " area of a few GB. The Linux installer will make the partitions it wants. Don't worry about the fine details for your first installation.