PDA

View Full Version : winhost32.exe

Donny Mac
13-03-2004, 09:02 PM
winhost32.exe Can anyone out there help me get rid of this of this adware/virus?.
I run adaware 6.0 to detect and remove it but when i do my I.E. browser wont work nor outlook express, i have to do a system restore (which seems to reinstall it) or reinstall the bug from adaware quarantine to get my connection back no matter what i do i can't get rid of this pest!!!!!!

p.s. i am not a computer genius yet so please make it simple.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi Don, Welcome to PressF1.

Winhost32 is Adware AFAIK.

Try downloading the latest Spybot S&D (from spybot.info) and see if that'll get rid of it.

Otherwise, its apparently as simple as deleting the file from the relevant places, so search your HDD for it and delete them if Spybot wont.

Chill.

Laura
13-03-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm also not a computer genius, but from memory I think winhost32exe hides itself by its similarity to an essential system file.

Is it possible you're deleting the wrong one of the two similarly named?

If Spybot doen't do the trick, post back for more info before fiddling with the registry.

drcspy
14-03-2004, 09:07 AM
you said after you deleted it you cant browse........well that's fairly simple.......either do this: goto control panel /add remove progs and clik on Internet explorer if it's listed there and clik the remove button you'll get three choices take the 'repair' one...............OR: re-install IE from a cd ......fast easy and should fix your prob.........and/or run startbutton/run and type in SFC /SCANNOW and hit enter that'll help replace any missing/damaged system files

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2004, 09:23 AM
> SFC /SCANNOW and hit enter that'll help replace any
> missing/damaged system files

Is that the System File Checker?

Thanks for that, I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm doing repairs :-)

Chill.

dumdum
14-03-2004, 10:45 AM
download the free trial of trojan and spyware remover,version 8.2 from

bulletproofsoft.com
easy to use and very effective.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Sorry DD,

If I remember Correctly, there's a public statement somewhere on the Spybot S&D Site that mentions that.

Its a cop-out of Spybot, and I wouldnt

I'll see if I can find the URL, I may be thinking of some other software.

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Here ya go:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=compatibility&detail=bps

Get Spybot S&D ;-)

Chill.

Jen C
14-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Chills is very right with the BulletProofSoft company being sued by Spybot S&D developers for reverse engineering their database. Lavasoft Adaware also has issue with the BulletProofSoft Co for copyright infringements. If you have purchased or used BulletProofsoft’s* (Ayman Elbanhawy) “Spy Cleaner™” or “BPS Spyware/Adware Remover™”, you have been deceived! (http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=3912).

Use either the genuine programs that are freely available and not pirated versions of Lavasoft Ad-aware or Spybot Search and Destroy.

Pheonix
14-03-2004, 01:27 PM
HERE (http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/w/winhost32.asp) is the rundown on winhost32.exe and instructions to remove.

dumdum
16-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks for that info team,if I was aware of it's history I would not have bothered with it.
It's now been removed from my machine.
Cheers
DD.