PDA

View Full Version : Hugely OT: How to avoid unmowed corners?

Winston001
13-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Just mowed the lawn. On a ride-on mower. Luxury.
Anyway, can any of you engineers and geometrists out there help?

Since I were a lad, I've noticed that turning corners while mowing, whether in a hay paddock or on a lawn, there is always a thin half moon of unmown grass.
Consequently the operator compensates by swinging a bit wider on each turn and a square area rapidly turns into some Euclidean nightmare. Bulges develop at each corner. Or else there are little curves of uncut grass.

Have a look at a cut hay paddock the next time you pass one.

Why?

Winston001

TonyF
13-03-2004, 08:44 PM
> Consequently the operator compensates by swinging a
> bit wider on each turn and a square area rapidly
> turns into some Euclidean nightmare. Bulges develop
> at each corner. Or else there are little curves of
> uncut grass.
> Why?
You have a problem of too many dimensions, and some are curled up in the corner. See Calabi-Yau as in
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,591747,00.html
so you have to adjust your corners to compensate.
Clear ?? Of course not ....

Susan B
13-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Can't wait for Godfather to give an answer to this - he would be the expert. :p :D

Winston, you could always rope off the offending corner/s and put some four-legged lawn mowers to work on it. ;-)

ilikelinux
13-03-2004, 08:51 PM
or you can have one of those pusharound mowers and attach that to the side of the big lawn mower and at the tousch of the button, it will come out and it is remotely controlled and ....

There! No more uncut edges!

Terry Porritt
13-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Maybe it depends on whether you are using a reel mower or a rotary bar mower?

Must say I have never seen any half-moons, I'll have to ask my "Jims Mower" friend if he has ever encountered this phenomenon.

ilikelinux
13-03-2004, 09:04 PM
>half moon of unmown grass.

Do they light up at night?

wotz
13-03-2004, 09:09 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about.
My theory is this - it is because you start the turn early as you can't turn a tight 90 degree angle. If you drove right up to the corner with the rear inside wheel the correct distance from the edge, then turned with leaving that inside wheel on the spot, you would not have the crescent shape left.

agent
13-03-2004, 09:12 PM
No, those half moons are the beginnings of crop circles.

Rather than lighting up at night, they form special markings which scientists claim look remarkably like the coded messages we sent out in those space mobiles.

godfather
13-03-2004, 09:19 PM
OK Winston, is my lawn is bigger than yours anyway? (1.5 acres)

If you start the area by mowing 2 strips foming an X from corner to corner of the area to be cut, then the area that is missed in each corner can be ignored as you have already cut it.

Or, water the lawn using Speights (new, not second hand) and the lawn will come up half cut anyway.

godfather
13-03-2004, 09:31 PM
And this would be the best use for Speights anyway, you certainly wouldn't want to drink the stuff....

Elephant
13-03-2004, 09:41 PM
> Can't wait for Godfather to give an answer to this -
> he would be the expert. :p :D

While I believe Godfather knows more about computers than I do and respect Godfather heaps I just may beg to differ on this.

Recently like today I was driving a Truck alongside a Maize harvester.

> Winston, you could always rope off the offending
> corner/s and put some four-legged lawn mowers to work
> on it. ;-)

Like cows or sheep maybe?

For the normal 1/4 acre section the CORNERS may be cleaned with a whippersnipper possibly!?

I like your answer though Susan_B

:-)

Elephant
13-03-2004, 09:46 PM
> Or, water the lawn using Speights (new, not second
> hand) and the lawn will come up half cut anyway.

I use Johnny Walker for my grass. Don't need to cut it at all. :-)

Susan B
13-03-2004, 09:52 PM
> While I believe Godfather knows more about computers than I do and respect Godfather heaps I just may beg to differ on this.

Trust me....... Godfather would be an expert. ;-)

<quote>
>> OK Winston, is my lawn is bigger than yours anyway? (1.5 acres)
</quote>

;-) :D

> Like cows or sheep maybe?

Horses would be better - on GF's property anyway. Only trouble is that he has cats..... :O

TonyF
13-03-2004, 10:14 PM
> Horses would be better - on GF's property anyway.
> Only trouble is that he has cats..... :O

Cats ? Hooray - another feline fancier ...! Good on him..

MrBeef
13-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Its simply that the "mower" lives in the middle of the implement (ride-on mower) and that you can only goes as far as the "mower" is. If the mower was front mouted you could get everything, or even on the back.

Maize you say? in a truck....Bet it wasnt wet. Try doing maize with tractors - 12 tonnes of maize and about half a metre of mud...then it gets tricky.

if you get the harvester stuck and i really mean stuck, it takes more than 5 tractors to pull it out. And these are big tractors (120+hp)

And if you talk about Hay Paddocks, it is just pointless to mower EVERYthing especially the corners because by the time you "ted it" (spin it out) it gets spun onto the fence line and it is wasted. It all depends on the machine, where it is mounted.

Just live with it

i am a farmer whose dad does a lot of Contracting, doing Hay, Mulching, Under-sowing, Fertiliser spreading. Well not dad himself but we work in with another contractor.

Cheers MrBeef

Laura
13-03-2004, 10:41 PM
I also have a hay paddock

Small, admittedly, but adequate for a small flock.

And I don't mind unmown corners.

They give me somewhere to hide when others are rushing around picking up hay bales.

Elephant
13-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Horses would be better - on GF's property anyway. Only trouble is that he has cats.....

Well we only have one of them. ( Cats that is )

We are lucky in so far as it is an ATTACK cat but it won't clean up the grass here.

What do I do next then?

Bigger Cat. Maize harvester will not get though the gate.

Stop putting Cows into my freezer and use them for mowing the lawn instead?

:-)

godfather
13-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Our cats eat horses.

A bit at a time, and from a can (jellimeat).

A cat's version of "my little pony" I guess.

As our lawns are properly sown, fertilised twice a year and weed sprayed twice a year, horses and cows are unwelcome unless they are already canned.

We used to have sheep prior to the lawns, and fed them on mint and parsley before they went on a "little trip" and returned freezer ready...

Elephant
13-03-2004, 11:26 PM
> back.
>
>
>
> Maize you say? in a truck....Bet it wasnt wet. Try
> doing maize with tractors - 12 tonnes of maize and
> about half a metre of mud...then it gets tricky.

Ummmm.... But it was wet... Recently.... Usually the Harester can pull me out tare weight of truck is 9.5 tonnes. Maize loaded usually 7.5 - 10.0 tonnes
>
> if you get the harvester stuck and i really mean
> stuck, it takes more than 5 tractors to pull it out.
> And these are big tractors (120+hp)

We use a Cat tractor with tracks. Two weeks ago the Excavator had to be walked around to pull out one truck. Same day the one CAT tractor pulled out the harvester. The Harvester can go where Trucks can't.

The Truck that was stuck was not able to be pulled out without using the Excavator.
>
> And if you talk about Hay Paddocks, it is just
> pointless to mower EVERYthing especially the corners
> because by the time you "ted it" (spin it out) it
> gets spun onto the fence line and it is wasted. It
> all depends on the machine, where it is mounted.

Yep.... Seen that sort of thing too.... We use Whey ( Dairy By-Product ) and BioMass ( Dairy and Abatoir ) byproduct for fertiliser. All liquid. Hmmmm.

As we use this the Maize grows to the point where sitting in the Truck I cant see over the top of it. At Lichfield we were spreading 3 Million Litres per day every day for fertiliser.

Must get some photos and kill two birds with one stone sometime.

>
> Just live with it
>
> i am a farmer whose dad does a lot of Contracting,
> doing Hay, Mulching, Under-sowing, Fertiliser
> spreading. Well not dad himself but we work in with
> another contractor.
>
> Cheers MrBeef

Winston001
13-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Speights?? On the lawn?? Sacrilege. I'd have to leave town. :D

And thankyou TonyF for that link.I recommend it. Mind you I am feeling a bit dizzy after reading it. Somehow I hadn't really taken the intuitive step of explaining these errant blades of grass in terms of 10 dimensions.
Silly me.

I think Wotz is right - if a mower could be turned exactly at 90 degrees at the point of the corner then there would be a perfect cut.

One of those ride-on machines with rear steering and a cutting deck out front would do the job.

And GF, I do like your X theory. Actually when I were a callow youth I did this when disking up a paddock to see if it worked. Sort of ok, but disking is better done in "lands" rather than around and around.

Now, why didn't I anticipate Elephant and his cows? Send them on down. Mind you, my own feline population (3) might be a bit put out. Free milk?

Cheers
Winston001

hamstar
14-03-2004, 01:14 AM
lol @ free milk.

The answer is simple...

get a weed eater! Do the corners with that!

mite wanna hide your stash tho, in case it gets hungry. (get it? weed eater?)

ba dum tsss. :8}

Cos how can you mow a corner perfect if it theres a wall to stop you going over the edge?

Its impossible to mow square because mowers a based on a circular patern. you see.

Susan B
14-03-2004, 10:49 AM
> Our cats eat horses.

> A bit at a time, and from a can (jellimeat).

Now do you see why that worries me?! Horses need to stay well away from Godfather's place! :O :D

dipstick01
14-03-2004, 11:01 AM
simple answer to your problem.

Weld the weedeater to the offside of the ride on mower. Whats the purpose of a ride on if ya have to get off and do the weedeating??

Place speights and whiskey in suitable containers and consume during mowing to stop any chance of dehydration ( change speights for preferred beverage)

Use cows for BBQ afterwards when we all appear at your place to celebrate and to create crop circles in the maize

and besides after much anti dehydration libation you won't really care about the half moon unless its elephant and godfather mooning lol

Susan B
14-03-2004, 11:05 AM
You aren't consuming enough Speights and whisky, Winston, otherwise you wouldn't even notice that you had missed the corners.... :p :D

MrBeef
14-03-2004, 11:59 AM
What was the terrain like? the maize paddock. Being upnorth its mostly hills, so as you would imagine. The last job i saw i was in the harvestor (first time) as a passenger and he can practically pivot on one wheel to do a turn (rear steered). But One of the tractors and trailors tried turning on a hill and the trailer tipped over, luckily the tractor had Duals on it..

Its fun doing the first cut, the tractor is right behind the harvestor, half of the maize goes onto the tractor and completely misses the trailer.

But its all good.

Graham L
14-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Concrete works. Paint it green.

beetle
14-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Ok since i have been way to busy for the last 48 hours it seems i have missed out on this amazingly futile thread......:D of the sort i really like i have an oppinion....:D
of course i always do dont i???

if this is your personal home lawn??? not in the paddock?
if it is in the garden / lawn how about making the eadge of the garden curved?
so you only have to sweep the ride on mower around the corner and no missed bits?

or make round paddocks????so you possibly go in ever decressing circles or something ?

or mow the corners X through the middle first then no moonies about!

i always miss out on the fun...... but yes a cow or a horse would be the other logical answer, no goats cos youre likely not to have any thing left.....
:p
or concrete the whole bloody thing so you dont have to mow any thing at all?

or use fake grass????

:D

beetle

Winston001
14-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Thankyou gals and guys for all the laughs. I'm a bit nervous about these crop circle theories - is there an alien force guiding the mower? :O

Or maybe I just need new glasses. :D

dipstick01
14-03-2004, 06:52 PM
lol......you know if you want lots of fun/revenge on a Know it all teen then I suggest the following

Play the movie SIGNS after dark with the stereo turned up so the teen age daughter gets a phobia about corn fields.

Leave the baby monitor turned on in various rooms about the house with just static playing

Take the family on a mystery outing to the "maze in the maize"

watch aforementioned teen age daughter go very very quiet

lol..... for the whole time we were there she was the most quiet attentive perfect child I have seen in long time.

And having her admit that I AM THE MASTER was worth its weight in gold.

ps she reckons she is going to get me back lol

mikebartnz
14-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Okay you can't do it for the first corner or two but after that you don't try and turn the corner but do a loop so you run square.

mikebartnz
14-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Speights is not as bad as Southland Spitter used to be.

Jester
15-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Corners are for squares ... have a circular lawn!

J
:D

Chris Randal
15-03-2004, 10:51 AM
I am amazed (a-maized) ]:) that nobody has missed the simplest answer of all......

Don't mow it all - therefore there are no missed bits. :D :D :D