PDA

View Full Version : Driver issues with Linux

jupi8
13-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi guys,

I am currently trying to get my modem running in my new Linux partition.
After spending a bit of time researching how to go about it have discovered that my modem is a so called "winmodem" and certain drivers may be needed.
I have visited another site that distributes these drivers but have been asked to select the kernal architecture. I am running Fedora core 1 and the options are i586 or i686. Which would be the one for a Celeron 2.4ghz processor?
Do I need these drivers? my modem is a Conexant smartHSFi v92 56k DF pci.
Would really appreciate some help.
Thanx all !!!!

Graham L
13-03-2004, 03:31 PM
I think the Celeron is an i686, so either would do. (The code levels start at i386 ... and mean "that level CPU and above". That is, you can't use an i586 module on a 486, but you can use an i386 module on a Pentium. ;-)

You only need the driver module if you want the hardware to work. :D

The keyword for searches is "linmodem" . That should get you to www.linmodems.org, which is the authoritative site.

jupi8
13-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Cheers Graham,
Still trying to get it workin, have succesfuly downloaded the drivers but I dont know what to set the dev/modem tab to?

jupi8
13-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Linux has just told me that my modem was not detected. How can I get my modem sorted? I am realy new to the Linux os.

Graham L
14-03-2004, 02:00 PM
The installation script should have set /dev/modem.;-)

Do a ls -l /dev/modem. lsmod should show the module installed. dmesg | less is worth a browse. Also rmmod thenameofthemodule ; modprobe thenameofthemodule ; tail -20 /var/log/messages will remove it, install it, then show what the system has to say about this.