PDA

View Full Version : dual boot

veterannz
13-03-2004, 02:22 PM
My system used to dual boot but was stopped at my request. I have XP on "C" and Win 98 se is still on my "D" drive (partition). I know in your FAQ's that 98 should be on "C", but it did work. I am unsure how the dual boot was disconnected but hope some out there may be able to help me set it up again. I presume it is a setting that disallows the dual boot or my PC fixer would have removed '98
XP does not let me overstall Win 98.
I am doing this because I used to be able to capture my camcorder via USB in 98 but cant now that my OS is XP

Murray P
13-03-2004, 02:54 PM
You'll need to change your boot.ini in XP but can't remember how. There should be a reference to 98 with something like = 0 that will be changed. Best to search google with that or wait for someone that knows. Save a copy of your boot.ini with adiff name to somwhere safe before fiddling so that you can go back if necessary.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L
13-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Google will find some links with "boot.ini xp". However, make sure you have a set of emergency boot floppies, and have a good look at the sets of instructions. One of the cases ended in a reload of both XP and 98. ;-)

Was W98 installed on "D:" or was a new disk installed and XP installed on that, with the W98 C becoming D as far as XP is concerned. I have an idea that whatever disk the OS booted on becomes C, so the 98 references will be OK.

Graham L
13-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Google will find some links with "boot.ini xp". However, make sure you have a set of emergency boot floppies, and have a good look at the sets of instructions. One of the cases ended in a reload of both XP and 98. ;-)

Was W98 installed on "D:" or was a new disk installed and XP installed on that, with the W98 C becoming D as far as XP is concerned. I have an idea that whatever disk the OS booted on becomes C, so the 98 references will be OK.

veterannz
13-03-2004, 03:56 PM
I have now learnt to edit the boot.ini file safely and altho Win 98 comes up as an option it wont open so I will reinstall.
Do I have to uninstall XP first. If so, does that mean I have to have some boot discs ready to install Win 98 or will it boot off the win 98 CD. If an alteration has to be done to the bios to make that happen, how do I do it

Chilling_Silently
13-03-2004, 04:07 PM
If you right-click on My Computer and Choose Properties
Click on the tab over the very Right

There should be a button somewhere that allows you to modify startup etc.

Have a look in there and see if that helps.

Im sorry I cant be more specific, I dont have Doze here.

Chill.

JohnD
13-03-2004, 10:04 PM
The ideal install order is Win98 followed by WinXp.

Since you have WinXp operational, I would try to reinstall Win98. But be aware that this will overwrite the master boot record and the result will be that (initially) WIn98 will be the only OS going.

To rectify this you will need to use the XP CD to boot to recovery and rewrite the XP mbr with fixmbr. YOu will then need to edit the boot.ini file to include 98.

I can't remember if I have tried this?? Others may be able to confirm.