PDA

View Full Version : PC Company Recovery CD

Vickie
12-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Evening all, about 2.5 years ago I purchased a PC Company PC with Windows ME. Decided it was about time I re-installed windows since we've collected a lot of garbage and odd looking files. Whipped out the trusty Product Recovery CD, made copies of all my files I want to keep, made sure I had the key code handy and, according to the instructions inserted the CD, restarted the PC and waited expectantly for the two options to come up (restore with format and restore without format). The CD didn't start by itself so using explorer had a look at the contents on the disc. I think I found what I'm looking for, a file called "engwinme.pak". My question is how do I get it to run, according to the instructions after re-starting it should automatically run the software - it doesn't!

About a year or so ago I had some problems with the PC and took it to local fix-it men who told me that it needed Windows re-installed, fine I said go ahead and left all the discs that came with the PC with them. I assume they used the same recovery disc and obviously managed to make it work.

I'm no PC techy person but can usually get things working the way they should so all help appreciated. Thanks

promethius
12-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Is it supposed to boot off the cd?

If so you may just have to change a bios setting so that "boot from cd" is activated.

nadius
12-03-2004, 10:31 PM
as written above, in the bios you must set the pc to boot from cd.

to enter the bios on most pc's you press "delete" after the POST (more or less once you've hit the power switch. there'll be a message telling you when)

search around until you find something like boot order, and set the cd-rom before the hard drive. then restart.

Graham L
13-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Holding the Ctrl key down while starting up might bring up a recovery menu which gives you the option of reloading from the CD.

Vickie
13-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks people for your help. Managed to find where to go and have the system boot from the CD. Now to reload all my programme's again.........
Thanks again :)