PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP...

jackyht
12-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi

interesting enough this days, some of the new computer or even some new laptop doesn't have an operating system included...

so wot happen if you got a Windows XP home edition on your hand which have installed on the orginal computer. can i use that CD to installed on to the new computer or laptop??

or do i need to get a licence from microsoft in order for me to setup on the new computer/laptop

I would love to know...
Jacky

Pheonix
12-03-2004, 06:44 PM
The process with XP is..
1/ your code on the sticker/certificate
2/ On installation, system produces another code.
3/ Quote these 2 numbers to MS, either phone or Internet and you get a THIRD code to put in.
Without the Third code, you only get to use XP for 30 days.

Now MS has your original sticker/certificate code registered and if you want to use it again, you have to contact MS. They judge whether to allow it to be re-used. And you cannot legally run it on more than 1 PC.

godfather
12-03-2004, 06:45 PM
All versions of Windows are licenced for 1 installation only. Its always been like that. For non-corporate use, its not a matter of "buying a license" but buying another copy of XP. Volume licencing is available for corporate use, but its not really any cheaper.

OEM versions of Windows are licensed for use on the computer they were purchased with and not for re-use if that computer is "scrapped". Not saying they will not work, just that they are not legit if used again.

Full versions can be transferred to another PC as long as they are removed for the old PC.

If a copy of XP has been activated within the last 4 months then reactivation on another PC will fail and you will need to convince MS that its legit.

Read the End Use Licence Agreement (EULA) that is with every version of Windows. Use Help to find it. It will tell you all.