PDA

View Full Version : windows xp oem!!

yingxuan
12-03-2004, 12:09 PM
I have an xp oem licenced but i cant use it because the computer that had to original licence has been changed so now i can't use the oem so i was wondering if i could put my oem to a new computer.The hardrive is the same but everything else is differnet in the new computer and the oem is not installed in the original hardrive

tweak\'e
12-03-2004, 12:15 PM
as long as its not in use on another pc, go right ahead.

yingxuan
12-03-2004, 12:17 PM
um.. ive tried installing into the new computer but it saids there's an error on activation.

yingxuan
12-03-2004, 12:24 PM
i bought a 2nd hand computer which had winxp installed.Dad said that he could use that computer and he already has a hardrive from his previous computer which also had winxp.dad pulled the hardrive out from the 2nd hand computer that i got and put his one on.I took the hardrive out on that computer and put that hardrive into my computer.(another computer)
So dad has the 2nd hand computer with his hardive and i have the new computer with the 2nd hand computer hardrive and i want to use xp on my computer.

The hardrive that my dads got has xp on as well.he wants to use xp on his computer and not the one that was on the 2nd hand computer.

Do u understand this?

Barnabas
12-03-2004, 12:24 PM
You will have to ring up Microsoft on the number provided when you try to activate to get a new activation code. Tell them that it isn't in use on more than one computer and they should happily give you the new code.
B.

linw
12-03-2004, 01:34 PM
I think you need to look at the OEM licence. I am sure it says that the OEM licence is only valid for the machine it was first installed on. That is why it is cheaper - it can't be transferred like a general licence can.

Good luck, though, if MS let you do it!

Mzee
12-03-2004, 02:22 PM
My copy of XP Home is an OEM version.
If you wish to install on another computer, and it is less than 4 months since the last activation, ring Microsoft tell them you have a new Mother board & get a new activation code. First of all back up your existant system via Ghost Image etc.

If the last activation was over 4 months ago it will activate on the new machine on line. Having done this, it will not reactivate on your old machine for 4 months, and when it does it will not reactivate on the second. Hence the reason for making a backup.
The idea behind this is to prevent a business installing XP on a swag of computers from one disc. They would have to wait 4 months between each machine, & I don't think Microsoft would accept a dozen upgrades from one firm at the same time :)

Graham L
12-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't they? Don't they trust their customers? :D

Someone ought to tell them: the customer is always right.