PDA

View Full Version : hard drive showing 4.7 gb

visionaire
12-03-2004, 10:29 AM
my computer recently got a virus, which destroyed my graphics card. It also changed my hard drive from 20 gb to 4.7 gb. Ive used nortons av and scandisk. Can anyone tell me how to change it back to a 20 gb

kiwibeat
12-03-2004, 10:43 AM
reformat the HDD and reinstall O/S your graphics card is fine may need new drivers

Pheonix
12-03-2004, 10:44 AM
First thing is to see what partitions are what. Boot up with a bootdisk and enter FDISK Then choose option 4 , which is display partitions and see what is what.

Murray P
12-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi there, a bit more info might help.

What OS are you using. What virus was it. Have you run a spyware/malware cleaner on the machine. What is the HDD size given in scandisk or Nortons or at boot up. How many partitions on the HDD?

I havn't heard of a virus physicaly destroying a video card (ISTBCorrected), have you tried deleting the drivers (use windows generic) then reinstalling them?

Cheers Murray P

ugh1
12-03-2004, 04:27 PM
> Hi there, a bit more info might help.
>
> What OS are you using. What virus was it. Have you
> run a spyware/malware cleaner on the machine. What is
> the HDD size given in scandisk or Nortons or at boot
> up. How many partitions on the HDD?
>
> I havn't heard of a virus physicaly destroying a
> video card (ISTBCorrected), have you tried deleting
> the drivers (use windows generic) then reinstalling
> them?

There are some nasty ones, like FLASH killer that will blank the flash chip on MB, vidio card & iomega drives to name a few devices..

>
> Cheers Murray P

Murray P
12-03-2004, 07:40 PM
> There are some nasty ones, like FLASH killer that will blank the flash chip
> on MB, vidio card & iomega drives to name a few devices..

I guess they had to come.

Do they prevent you from re-flashing it or is it a new ROM chip that you require? If the latter I can see how that would make a video card uneconomic to repair, even if you could get the parts and the software.

There is also malware/spyware that carves off a very small chunk of your disk for its own ends but not MB's. Some used by "legit" software companies for licensing/activation purposes. formatting does nothing to remove them.

Still don't know if it's relevent in this case tho.

Cheers Murray P