PDA

View Full Version : Is press F1 SLOW ?

JJJJJ
12-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Is anyone else having problems loading Press F1. With me it's very very slow loading. Once it's loaded it's not so bad. I have not seen any complaints so I'm wondering "Why me".
Jack

CYaBro
12-03-2004, 08:45 AM
I have noticed that too!

Sometimes I can't even get on. I click on my Favorite to PressF1 and it looks like it's loading but don't get anything on screen. I have left it like this for about 1 hour sometimes and it still has not loaded and don't get the usual errors either like Page cannot be displayed etc. Page just stays blank.

Steve Askew
12-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Yes Jack it is very slow, even with pradise 256k cable :-(
In fact its probably the slowest site that I visit.
I suspect the bottleneck is at IDG end.

Steve

stu140103
12-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Press F1 seems fine now.....

Susan B
12-03-2004, 10:58 AM
It seems to have its moments. Sometimes it loads at a good speed then other times it struggles. I wonder if it has anything to do with the moon? :p

Greg S
12-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah this forum generally is quite slow to load, regardless of your Internet speed. But you have to remember that it calls upon a huge database, which in turn means that a lot of data gets processed during the time the pages are presented to you.

Having said that, there are bigger but better (read faster) forums around. This issue has been discussed before, and basically it's quite a big task for the whole setup to be changed or upgraded.

In the meantime it still works well 95% of the time, so can't really mutter too much eh

JJJJJ
12-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Wasn't realy having a grizzle. Just checking that it wasn't my fault. It usually is.
Jack

PoWa
12-03-2004, 02:58 PM
> I wonder if it has anything to do with the moon?

Yes. Everytime NZ comes into view and links with the reciever station at Waihopai, I upload all my data to the PF1 server where it can be hidden and stored. During these times that will be the slow-down you describe.

mejobloggs
12-03-2004, 04:11 PM
heh, sometimes takes 1 minute to load on my 8mb/s full jetstream.

Chrono
12-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Yep, slow as crap for me on Full Jetstream too.

Susan B
12-03-2004, 05:12 PM
> Wasn't realy having a grizzle.

Really? Well that makes a change then. ]:) :p :D

> Just checking that it wasn't my fault. It usually is.

Nothing wrong with that. Lots of people were probably would have been wondering the same. :-)

Susan B
12-03-2004, 05:20 PM
> > I wonder if it has anything to do with the moon?
>
> Yes. Everytime NZ comes into view and links with the
> reciever station at Waihopai, I upload all my data to
> the PF1 server where it can be hidden and stored.
> During these times that will be the slow-down you
> describe.

Heh, Bruce and co had better lock up their hard drives or you'll be wanting to destroy them after the moon has gone past. :D

tweak\'e
12-03-2004, 05:23 PM
all i will say is thank god its not as slow as the old "take 1/2 hour to post" forum ;-)

just which they could fix those constant weekend problems.

ilikelinux
12-03-2004, 06:28 PM
they must be downloading linux iso's

fern
12-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah it sure is. I have been trying to view some of the FAQ papges for two days but can't get them. Mind you I only have 56 modem.

fern

stu140103
12-03-2004, 09:02 PM
> Yeah it sure is. I have been trying to view some of
> the FAQ papges for two days but can't get them.

What FAQ are you trying to get to?, if you say, I will try & access it for you :) & copy & paste it in to a new thread for you or I will e-mail you the text (if so e-mail me: stuartw77 [ at ] hotmail {dot} com)

Susan B
12-03-2004, 09:05 PM
> Yeah it sure is. I have been trying to view some of the FAQ papges for two days but can't get them. Mind you I only have 56 modem.

Fern, a quicker way to get to the FAQs is to do a search on the FAQ you want to see and put the author's name in the Username field. Search should bring up a link to the FAQ which will allow you get in by the "back door". :-)

beetle
12-03-2004, 09:08 PM
hi ya,

i think at times it is mighty slow, but other times pretty good.
this can vary day to day and minute to minute at times.

even using Mozilla Firebird it gets stuck on loading ..... but nothing pops up no error and also no time out either, just loading and a blank page.......

then walla its here and alll good, then slows down and then its frustrating.

but i am patient (LOL) :p

and i know the family will be here when i next log on if i cant acess it..... :D

beetle

Laura
12-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Maybe PoWa could use the Waihopai link to move the clock back 22/23 minutes?

(Remembers the criticism which arose last time someone complained about the clock. Goes away & hides...)

Megaman
13-03-2004, 08:18 AM
yes :'(

but then, i must ring telstra clear, because now i have to go into firefox to download anything, and to view some pages. downloads dont work, the download box just sits there mocking me, and likewise for some pages (including pf1...)

MM

P.S nice picture Bruce :D

robo
13-03-2004, 08:33 AM
It certainly has it's ups and downs.
Not so bad when everyone's asleep.
robo.

Jim B
13-03-2004, 09:01 AM
> Fern, a quicker way to get to the FAQs is to do a
> search on the FAQ you want to see and put the
> author's name in the Username field. Search should
> bring up a link to the FAQ which will allow you get
> in by the "back door". :-)

Nice idea Susan - Try doing a search with your name and find a thread in 2002. If you add a search term as well you might find the thread quicker but when it is found it still takes as long to display the thread as when doing it from the FAQ's

As mentioned before older FAQ's are virtually useless due to the problem accessing them so I don't see the point in referring to them in posts.

Why not put them all up on a website somewhere if someone has some space and put a link to the site on the FAQ page.

mark c
13-03-2004, 09:07 AM
I don't understand why the FAQs are so slow loading. I've seen typed that it's all the history and search links but surely when a page of FAQs loads it's a page of links. Nothing huge about that.

Good point by Jim B, they are extremely valuable and extremely useless as well. (At the moment) :O :D

robo
13-03-2004, 09:30 AM
The FAQs are very ad-hoc, unfortunately.
Such is our budget <sigh>
robo.

Laura
13-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Tick tock.Tick tock

Why does Ad Hoc

Mean Fast Clock?

Susan B
13-03-2004, 08:28 PM
> Nice idea Susan - Try doing a search with your name and find a thread in 2002. If you add a search term as well you might find the thread quicker but when it is found it still takes as long to display the thread as when doing it from the FAQ's

It works for me Jim. I just tried it on one of the older FAQs, "FAQ#25b" which is dated July 9 2002. Putting FAQ #25b into the Search Term field and Susan B into the Username field brought up a number of links to various threads with the one I wanted being at the top of the list.

Clicking on that link brought up the FAQ within 6 seconds on my slow-as-molasses dialup.

> As mentioned before older FAQ's are virtually useless due to the problem accessing them so I don't see the point in referring to them in posts.

I agree that it is a bit of a nuisance that we have to do this but it is better than waiting forever or going without.

> Why not put them all up on a website somewhere if someone has some space and put a link to the site on the FAQ page.

That is an idea but it would be a bit of a Catch-22 situation wouldn't it? :D

Laura
13-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Yaayyyy...!

The clock's come right.

(Thank you, Robo)

Laura
13-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Ooooops

Dammit. Knew mine on the mantelpiece was getting wonky - but not that by co-incidence it stopped at the right time to rase my hopes.

(Sigh)

bk T
13-03-2004, 10:46 PM
> ... I wonder if
> it has anything to do with the moon?

Of course, the moon, the sun and all the planets in the universe play a part and most importantly, the MOOD.