PDA

View Full Version : FAT/FAT 32 mixup = HELP!

Codex
11-03-2004, 11:21 AM
I recently used nortons un-erase wizard to recover a file i needed but now i can't delete it in windows me, so i tried to delete through DOS but it said that there was a problem with my file system and that it needed to be re-partitioned, can someone please tell me what to do?

Pheonix
11-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Thats wierd.

Startup in safe mode and run scandisk. Then see if you can delete the file. You are deleting the right file? not a system one.

Codex
11-03-2004, 06:06 PM
i looked at the error again and t said was that the FAT FAT32 was an invlaid partition(which means?) it told me to re-partition my drive, what utility should i use?

Pheonix
11-03-2004, 07:23 PM
At what stage do you get this message?
And can you get as far as getting into safe mode?

Would try using a win98 bootdisk (can be got from www.bootdisk.com) and booting up with it. When you get to the a: prompt, enter in fdisk /mbr
Then restart PC.

Codex
11-03-2004, 10:18 PM
i get the message when i try to get rid of the file in dos, safe mode is a struggle to start in.
what will fdisk /mbr do, i don't want to lose very very important data

Pheonix
11-03-2004, 11:01 PM
MBR= Master Boot Record
No you won't lose anything. In fact, it will go away and do it's thing in a few seconds, and appear to you as if nothing happened. It will replace the operating MBR with a previous one.
What the hell is the file you need to get rid of? Right click and under properties, see if it has read-only ? Best to try deleting in safe mode if possible.