PDA

View Full Version : Word 97 overtyping frustration

beetle
10-03-2004, 10:05 PM
i am in the essay mode again and have found somehoe to my horror i have overtyping key or setting stuck ON!
as i go to correct something and up doing the whole sentence as it types over all existing work and i spend ages backtracking try to work out what i have pre typed only to find out its gone! cos i typed over it again????

how do it change this?

this is so painful it often happens but i have never worked out how to fix it or what i did to start it can some one please help me????

it has been a long frustrating day and this is making it painful to the max.....

beetle

tweak\'e
10-03-2004, 10:09 PM
try hitting the insert button.

beetle
10-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Duh!
that simple ?

so i may bump it while researching and stuff paper city here and not known.... man what a day.

Thanxs Tweak'e i never knew

beetle

supergran
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
I can't remember exactly where, but overtyping is in your settings for Word. Try putting overtyping in Help and it may tell you where to untick. Sorry can't help more but haven't reinstalled 97 yet.

Susan B
10-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Down the bottom of Word's window, on the status bar, you will see the letters "OVR". As well as using the Insert key you can double click that little box to enable/disable overtyping.

It is quite handy to check it occasionally so that you are not caught out typing away in the wrong mode. If it is grey and dimmed overtyping is off.

beetle
10-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Ok thanxs all i learnt something this time.

must try to remember this one though......

:D
beetle