PDA

View Full Version : Music Player for PC

fergie
10-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi.
Hey - i was thinking about buying a stereo for the room where my PC is - mainly so i can listen to radio while on the pc, and so i can listen to my cds while its off.
But as i have pretty decent Speakers - i thought there must be a way so i can use my PC to do this.
What i wondered - is there a Radio unit taht fits in the IDE slot (like a heat temp display) that can play cds? (has a drive unit, or goes through your cdrom in the pc) and listen to the radio through my PC's speakers WHILE the pc is off?

I've heard of motherboards that do this - the pc cna be off - but you insert a cd into the drive an dit plays.
also - if you could listen to radio/music over the pc speakers while the pc is on would be good (ie, playing games, aand listening to radio - both sounds (game FX's and music) coming across the same speakers?

If anyone knows of such a thing, please give me some details.
cheers

tweak\'e
10-03-2004, 09:36 PM
i have heard of something like that. i think it was a dfi motherboard. HTH

metla
10-03-2004, 10:34 PM
I have heard of them available as an add-on,although the one i saw was not able to read cd's while the computer was switched off,i do belive the radio worked though.

Im thinking i may have seen it in the latest pcworld mag,although im not certain.

i would suggest emailing one of the bigger computer stores with a request for info,there parts buyer should know what is available.

By computer store i do not mean large chain stores,they will take your viginity and leave without so much as a parting thump.

Qmb will probally ignore the email.

I suggest asking ascent.

fergie
10-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Ok.
Was that the motherbaord itself, or a addon component?
Thanks

fergie
10-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok metla, will do - when you say you think you've seen them in PC, are you refering to the ad section - or an article itself?

Even if it didn't play cds while it was off would be sweet - becuase my pc is on the moment i get up, to the moment i go to bed - so i'd just be playing MP3's

Cool beans.
Alex

metla
10-03-2004, 10:46 PM
add or article?

no idea,I read a lot,I only remember the points of interest.

Your computer would have to be running to play mp3's,,which would make the add-on redundent.

fergie
10-03-2004, 11:03 PM
yeah - but if the pc was on - and i was doing something on there - eg, playing games - would it be possible to have like the radio going - with the sound coming out the same speakers?

I thinking about it tho - i'm mainly getting it for radio - probably easier to buy a $20 radio from warehouse and have it sitting next to pc!

O - i just remembered something - those megaboxes had what i'm after - i'll find a site

metla
10-03-2004, 11:15 PM
In that case just install a tv/radio card.

And yeah,you can play media while running a game.

I always have windows media player crankin out some mp3's while playing games.